These chocolate paleo muffins are my favourite afternoon snack as of late. They’re equally good as a nutritious on-the-go breakfast yet they’re decadent enough to satisfy a dessert craving.
These muffins are also gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free so they’re perfect for entertaining guests with various food intolerances or preferences.
These refined sugar free chocolate muffins aren’t overly sweet, yet they’re totally satisfying. They taste like a piece of good quality dark chocolate, but in muffin form.
They’re soft and cakey with a satisfying “carby” texture, despite being lower in carbs than traditionally made muffins that usually contain wheat flour and refined sugar.
Chocolate Paleo Muffins – Key Ingredients
These gluten free, dairy free chocolate muffins are sweetened only with raw honey, but if you have a real sweet tooth (or you prefer a “cupcake” level of sweetness) go ahead and slather these muffins with my refined sugar free chocolate frosting from this refined sugar free chocolate cake recipe.
These muffins are grain free and call for coconut flour instead of wheat flour. I love how the coconut flour adds a very subtle coconutty sweetness to this recipe without overpowering the chocolate flavour from the cocoa powder.
Coconut flour is a good alternative to wheat flour and perfect for all sorts of grain free and gluten free baked goods such as muffins, cakes, cookies and other desserts.
I used extra virgin olive oil as the fat in these chocolate paleo muffins because it’s a great dairy free fat option and works well in baked goods. If you’d prefer to substitute a different oil such as melted coconut oil, go ahead and I’m sure the results will be just as delicious.
This one bowl chocolate muffins recipe is so quick and easy to make so you can easily whip up an extra batch to freeze for later.
For another nutritious muffin recipe, try these gluten free savory muffins. They’re easy to make and perfect as a make-ahead breakfast or snack.
Chocolate Paleo Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Add the eggs, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk again until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix until combined and any lumps from the coconut flour are dissolved.
- Spoon the batter into paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 12 chocolate paleo muffins.
- Feel free to add nuts such as pecans or walnuts to these muffins for an even more filling snack.
Chocolate Paleo Muffins – Nutritional Information:
For more tasty paleo recipes, check out this assortment from elanaspantry.com. They’re easy, delicious, tried, and tested.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.