These paleo chocolate muffins are my favourite afternoon snack as of late. They’re perfect for a nutritious on-the-go breakfast yet they’re decadent enough to satisfy a dessert craving. These tasty muffins are also gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and grain free.
These muffins aren’t overly sweet, yet they’re totally satisfying. They taste like a piece of good quality dark chocolate, but in muffin form. They’re soft, cakey, and have a satisfying texture.
These muffins are sweetened only with raw honey, but you can substitute maple syrup if you prefer. And if you have a real sweet tooth, go ahead and slather these muffins with my refined sugar free chocolate frosting from this vegan chocolate cake recipe.
These muffins call for coconut flour instead of wheat flour. Coconut flour is a grain free flour commonly used in paleo baking. It adds a very subtle coconutty sweetness to this recipe without overpowering the chocolate flavour from the cocoa powder. Coconut flour is a good alternative to wheat flour and perfect for all sorts of grain free and gluten free baked goods such as muffins, cakes, cookies and other desserts.
I used extra virgin olive oil as the fat in these paleo chocolate muffins because it’s a great dairy free option and it works surprisingly well in baked goods. I love the combination of chocolate and olive oil and use it more often than not in my dessert recipes. If you’d prefer to substitute a different oil such as melted coconut oil, that will work well too.
Some optional additions you could add to the recipe include paleo dark chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and/or pecans. Add 1/2 cup each and stir into the batter if you like.
This one bowl chocolate muffins recipe is freezer friendly, so go ahead and make a double batch and store in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to six months.
More Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
For another nutritious muffin recipe, try these savory muffins. They’re easy to make and perfect as a make-ahead breakfast or snack.
Or add these yummy vegan applesauce muffins to your rotation of healthy breakfast recipes. They taste like a cozy bowl of oatmeal – in muffin form.
If you’re craving apple pie, these paleo apple muffins are the next best thing. they’re full of warm, fall spices.
Paleo Chocolate Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the eggs, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk again until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix until combined and any lumps from the coconut flour are dissolved.
- Spoon the batter into paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 12 paleo chocolate muffins.
- Optional additions: add 1/2 cup each of paleo dark chocolate chips and/or nuts such as pecans or walnuts to these muffins.
For more tasty paleo recipes, check out this assortment from elanaspantry.com. They’re easy, delicious, tried, and tested.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.