This nutritious gluten free apple upside down cake will fill your kitchen with the lovely aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. This delicious cake is dairy free and refined sugar free.
This recipe calls for oat flour, which I make by filling my food processor with rolled oats and processing for about 2 minutes. I make a large batch of oat flour and store it in the pantry, since I use it often in cakes, muffins, and other baked goods. You can substitute gluten free all promise flour instead of oat flour if you prefer.
I opted to use extra virgin olive oil in this apple cake because it imparts a warm, rich flavour that complements the apples in this recipe. You can substitute your preferred oil or melted butter if you don’t need this cake to be dairy free.
This cake is sweetened with date paste. Date paste is a delicious alternative sweetener made from dates that have been soaked in boiling water, then blended into a paste. Get the exact instructions for how to make date paste here.
The best part of this cake is the caramelized apples on the bottom of the pan. By spreading date paste on the bottom of the pan before arranging the apple slices, the end result is a lovely caramelized apple with no added sugar.
You can use whatever variety of apples you prefer in this recipe. For sweeter results go with Golden Delicious, or Honey Crisp apples. Or choose Granny Smith if you prefer your apples on the tart side. Other apple varieties will work well too so use what you like.
More Gluten Free Apple Recipes
For another delicious gluten free apple recipe, try these apple muffins. they’re grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Or try these applesauce muffins. They’re easy to make and perfect as a plant-based breakfast or snack.
Gluten Free Apple Upside Down Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl add olive oil, date paste, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix oat flour and baking powder to combine, then add that to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread 1/4 of a cup of date paste on the bottom of a well greased 9 inch round baking pan.
- Lay sliced apples over the date paste, covering the pan completely.
- Pour the batter over the apples, then bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 8-10 slices of gluten free apple cake.
- Use Golden Delicious Apples for a sweeter flavour or Granny Smith if you prefer a more tart apple.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.