These gluten free carrot cake muffins are such a yummy refined sugar free and dairy free breakfast or snack option. I love a having a freezer full of nutritious muffins stashed away, so I can pull one out whenever the kids or I need a quick snack. These muffins are so moist and delicious and they really do taste like carrot cake.
Date paste is the refined sugar replacement in this gluten free carrot cake muffins recipe and instead of using white flour I use oat flour. I tend to bake with oat flour, which contains both soluble and insoluble fiber as well as more protein than other flours, making it a nutritious choice.
Oat flour is so easy to make in the food processor and I always have a large freezer bag of oat flour ready to go in my pantry. All I do is fill my food processor with large flake rolled oats and process for two minutes, then store it in a large freezer bag in the pantry, fridge, or freezer, depending on how quickly you anticipate using it.
I like using olive oil in these gluten free carrot cake muffins because I think it’s healthier than vegetable oil or melted butter, but feel free to substitute the olive oil for any fat you like as long as it’s in liquid form.
For another delicious gluten free muffin recipe, try these paleo cinnamon muffins. They’re easy to make, refined sugar free, and grain free.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cooked chopped carrots
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: 1/4 cup each of any combination of raisins walnuts or diced pineapple.
- In a large mixing bowl add cooked carrots, eggs, olive oil, vanilla, and date paste and blend with an immersion blender until smooth (alternatively you can use a regular blender)
- Add the gluten free oat flour and baking soda to the wet mixture and mix by hand until combined.
- Stir in optional raisins, walnuts or diced pineapple.
- Spoon into paper muffin cups and Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 minutes.
- Makes 12 gluten free carrot cake muffins.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Muffins Nutritional Information
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.