This gluten free lemon blueberry bread is sweet, tart, and delicious. It’s also refined sugar free, dairy free, and makes a nutritious breakfast, snack, or dessert.
This lemon blueberry bread is a nice addition to a brunch menu when you’re entertaining guests. Or make this for a nutritious addition to a sweet table.
This bread freezes well, so you can make this in advance, slice it up before freezing, then allow it to thaw at room temperature before serving.
Main Ingredients In This Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Bread
This recipe calls for plenty of fresh lemon zest which gives this bread its bright, fresh, lemony flavour. Some lemon juice adds a tart, zingy note that complements the sweetness of this bread.
I used fresh blueberries in this bread, but frozen blueberries work too. You can also substitute raspberries, blackberries, or chopped strawberries in this recipe if you prefer.
This recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil. If you prefer the flavor of butter, you can substitute melted butter in this recipe. Melted coconut oil is another good alternative.
This lemon blueberry bread is sweetened with date paste. Date paste is a delicious natural sweetener that works well in cakes, muffins, and other baked goods. Date paste is easy to make – simply soak dates in boiling water, then blend them to a purée consistency (see my date paste recipe for exact amounts and instructions).
I used oat flour in this recipe. Oat flour adds a warm, slightly nutty flavour which pairs well with the other flavours in this bread. You can purchase ready made oat flour at many grocery stores, but I prefer to make my own in my food processor. To make oat flour, simply add rolled oats to a food processor or high powered blender, then blend for two minutes.
More Gluten Free Dairy Free Recipes
These paleo apple muffins are full of aromatic fall spices. They’re perfect for a make-ahead, freezer friendly breakfast or snack.
Or try these delicious paleo banana pancakes. They’re gluten free, grain free, and easy to make.
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 well beaten eggs
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine date paste, olive oil, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine oat flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into a well greased medium sized (9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75) loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Makes about 10 slices of gluten free lemon blueberry bread.
- Store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.