This gluten free lemon blueberry bread is sweet, tart, and also happens to be refined sugar free and dairy free. It’s a nutritious and tasty option for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
This lemon blueberry bread tastes like a total treat but it’s actually quite nutrient dense and contains oat flour and date paste.
This recipe calls for plenty of fresh lemon zest which gives this bread a bright, summery flavour. The recipe also calls for lemon juice which adds a tart, zingy note that compliments the sweetness of the dates in this recipe.
I used fresh blueberries in this but if they’re not in season frozen blueberries would work too. You could even substitute raspberries, blackberries, or chopped strawberries in this loaf if you prefer. Pretty much all berries pair well with lemon so you really can’t go wrong.
I used extra virgin olive oil as the fat in this recipe (as I often do when baking). If you prefer the flavor of butter, feel free to substitute melted butter in this recipe.
This gluten free lemon bread is perfect baked fresh for brunch guests. It freezes well too so you can make it in advance and slice it up before freezing. Then you can thaw out a piece or two when you’re in need of a quick breakfast, dessert, or snack.
For another gluten free, dairy free loaf cake, try this blackberry bread recipe. It’s easy to make, sweet, and delicious.
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 well beaten eggs
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine date paste, olive oil, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine oat flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into a well greased medium sized (9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75) loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Makes about 10 slices of gluten free lemon blueberry bread.
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Bread Nutritional Information
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.