This vegan, gluten free peach crisp is an easy and delicious summertime dessert. It’s perfect for using up any extra peaches before they get overripe.
Dress this dessert up with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Or enjoy it on its own – it has no shortage of flavour as is. This dish is delicious served either warm or at room temperature.
This recipe calls for fresh ripe peaches. Give the peaches a gentle squeeze to make sure they’ve got some give – that’s the best way to ensure they’re ripe. If they smell sweet and fragrant that’s another clue they’re at optimal ripeness for this dessert.
I like to toss the peaches with vanilla extract and maple syrup for some extra sweetness and flavour. You can omit the maple syrup for a lower sugar version of this dessert if you prefer.
The crisp topping is made with gluten free rolled oats. I love using oats in fruit crisps and crumbles because the oats add both flavour and crispness. You can substitute gluten free all purpose flour instead of the oats if you prefer.
The secret ingredient in the crisp topping is pecans, which add a complex, nutty flavour that compliments the peaches perfectly, especially when combined with pinches of both salt and nutmeg.
To make this gluten free peach crisp, start by washing and peeling your peaches. I like to use a vegetable peeler with a serrated blade to easily peel the peaches.
Alternatively, you can peel peaches by boiling them in water for 30 seconds or so. Then use a slotted spoon to transfer the peaches to an ice bath. After that you should be able to easily peel the peaches using your fingers.
Once your peaches are peeled, slice them up (6-8 slices per peach is perfect) and toss them with the maple syrup, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and salt before transferring them to an eight inch baking dish (any shape dish of approximately eight inches will do).
Next you’ll prepare the crisp topping while the oven is preheating. Add the pecans, rolled oats, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and salt to a food processor or high powered blender then blend to achieve a coarse grain texture.
Sprinkle the crisp topping on top of the peaches in an even layer, then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until the crisp topping is golden. Let cool a bit, then serve warm or at room temperature.
More Gluten Free Dessert Recipes
This chocolate cake made with black beans is intensely chocolaty and delicious. It’s a nutritious gluten free, vegan dessert option.
This chocolate buckwheat cake is decadent and indulgent, yet hearty and nutrient-rich. Add it to your list of must try desserts.
Or try these freezer-friendly oatmeal raisin cookies. They’re crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Gluten Free Peach Crisp
- Food processor or high powered blender.
For The Peach Layer
- 4 cups fresh peaches (788g) (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
For The Crisp Topping
- 1 cup rolled oats (104g)
- 1/2 cup pecans (54g)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (47g)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For The Peach Layer
- Wash, peel, then slice the peaches (6-8 slices per peach).
- Add the sliced peaches, maple syrup, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and salt to a large mixing bowl and gently stir to coat the peaches.
- Transfer the peaches to an 8 inch baking dish and spread them in an even layer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
For The Crisp Topping
- Add the gluten free rolled oats, pecans, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and salt to a food processor or high powered blender, then process to a coarse grain consistency.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over the peaches in an even layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before serving warm or at room temperature.
- Makes 6 servings of gluten free peach crisp.
- Be sure to use fresh, ripe, peeled peaches in this recipe.
- For a lower sugar version of this recipe you can omit the maple syrup.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.