This gluten free pumpkin cake is refined sugar free, dairy free, and is warmly spiced with turmeric and a few other delicious fall spices. The turmeric in particular adds a warm earthiness which compliments the other more traditional pumpkin spice flavors in this recipe such as cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
If you don’t have any turmeric or can’t find it at the grocery store, you can omit it and the results will still be delicious. If you leave out the turmeric it will taste like a more traditional pumpkin spice cake.
This pumpkin cake calls for date paste as the sweetener which adds moistness and a subtle caramel-like flavor from the dates. It’s an excellent refined sugar free sweetener that works particularly well in baked goods like cakes and muffins.
This gluten free pumpkin cake is perfect for fall. It would make a nice dessert for either Thanksgiving or Halloween. If you don’t need to stick to a dairy free diet, you could even dress this cake up for special occasions by adding a dollop of this refined sugar free whipped cream.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup date paste
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 4 well beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or substitute any other oil or melted butter)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl add olive oil, date paste, eggs, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix oat flour and baking powder to combine, then add that to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
- Makes 12 generous portions of gluten free pumpkin cake.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.