This refined sugar free, dairy free, and gluten free grapefruit cake is such a refreshing treat. Grapefruit is definitely underused in baking, in my opinion. This moist and delicious grapefruit cake is bursting with sweet, bright, and tangy grapefruit flavour. Enjoy a slice of this cake for dessert, breakfast, or as a nutritious snack.
This recipe calls for fresh grapefruit zest and juice. They add a lovely fragrance and flavour to this cake and there’s no substitute for those ingredients. Processed grapefruit juice definitely won’t give the same results.
I opted to use gluten free oat flour in this grapefruit loaf recipe. I make big batches of oat flour in my food processor (just fill your food processor with rolled oats then process for 2 minutes) so I always have oat flour on hand for my gluten free baking projects. Just be sure to by oats that are labelled gluten free if you need to avoid gluten for medical reasons.
This cake calls for extra virgin olive oil as the fat in this recipe. The warm rich flavour of the olive oil pairs nicely with the grapefruit zest and works really well in this recipe. I love baking with olive oil because it’s healthy, delicious, and affordable, but feel free to substitute any other oil (or even melted butter if you don’t need it to be dairy free).
This refined sugar free cake is sweetened with date paste. I often use date paste in cakes and muffins because it’s a nutritious sweetener with no added sugar and works well in baked goods. See my date paste recipe for instructions on making date paste. It’s easy to do – all you need is dates, boiling water, and a blender.
You can make this grapefruit cake ahead of time, slice it up and freeze it, then thaw it out at room temperature when you want an easy, on-the-go breakfast, snack, or dessert.
More Gluten Free Baking Recipes
This gluten free sweet potato bread is full of warm spices. It’s sweet, tender, and delicious.
This paleo banana bread is paleo diet friendly and dairy free. It’s easy to make and has a satisfying cake-like texture.
- 1 1/2 cups date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 well beaten eggs
- The zest of 1 grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the date paste, extra virgin olive oil, vanilla extract, eggs, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit zest and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oat flour and baking powder and then add that mixture to the wet ingredients and stir once more to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased medium sized (9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75) loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 42 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Makes 10 slices of grapefruit cake.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze for up to six months.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.