This refined sugar free, dairy free, and gluten free grapefruit loaf cake is such a refreshing treat. Grapefruit is definitely underused in baking, in my opinion. This moist and delicious grapefruit cake is bursting with sweet, bright, and tangy grapefruit flavour. It tastes like such a treat, yet it’s refined sugar free, gluten free, and dairy free, so you can go ahead and indulge in a slice for dessert, breakfast or as a nutritious snack.
This grapefruit loaf cake calls for extra virgin olive oil as the fat in this recipe. The warm rich flavour of the olive oil pairs nicely with the grapefruit zest and works really well in this recipe. I love baking with olive oil because it’s healthy, delicious, and affordable, but feel free to substitute any other oil (or even melted butter if you don’t need it to be dairy free).
Grapefruit Loaf Cake – Key Ingredients & Substitutions
I opted to use gluten free oat flour in this grapefruit loaf recipe. I make big batches of oat flour in my food processor (just fill your food processor with rolled oats then process for 2 minutes) so I always have oat flour on hand for my gluten free baking projects. Just be sure to by oats that are labelled gluten free if you need to avoid gluten for medical reasons.
You can also make this grapefruit bread ahead of time, slice it up and freeze it, then thaw it out at room temperature when you want an easy, on-the-go breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Grapefruit Loaf Cake
- 1 1/2 cups date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 well beaten eggs
- The zest of 1 grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl, add the date paste, extra virgin olive oil, vanilla extract, eggs, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit zest and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oat flour and baking powder and then add that mixture to the wet ingredients and stir once more to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased medium sized (9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75) loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 42 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Makes 10 slices of grapefruit cake.
Grapefruit Bread Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.