This low carb eggplant lasagna is rich, hearty, and easy to make. It’s perfect for meal prepping, so go ahead and double the recipe and reheat the leftovers for a quick lunches or dinner.
This dish is gluten free, grain free, and refined sugar free. It’s a nutritious main course that will keep you full for hours.
Main Ingredients In Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
This recipe calls for thinly sliced eggplant and zucchini instead of noodles. You don’t necessarily need to use both eggplant and zucchini though – you can pick one or the other or a combination of the two. You can also substitute thinly sliced sweet potatoes if you prefer.
The eggplant and zucchini are smothered in a rich beefy tomato sauce and layered with ricotta, then topped with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for extra richness and flavour.
For a vegan version of this dish, swap the ground beef for a plant-based ground meat substitute, or omit it altogether. You can also substitute vegan ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan in this recipe.
A good splash of balsamic vinegar is always my secret ingredient whenever I make tomato sauce. It adds a hint of sweetness and tang which complements the flavour of the tomatoes nicely.
The sauce is spiced with garlic, bay leaf, chilli, and oregano. You can substitute Italian seasoning instead of those herbs if you prefer. If you have any fresh herbs such as basil or parsley, sprinkle some on top before serving.
If you want to add even more veggies to this lasagna, simply sauté some extra veg before layering them into the dish. Mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower are all good options. Just be sure to sauté the vegetables before adding them to the lasagna so that any water in those vegetables has a chance to evaporate. Otherwise the end results may be a bit soggy.
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes
For another delicious low carb dinner idea, try these paleo chicken meatballs. They’re grain free, gluten free, moist, and full of flavour.
Or add this easy, oven roasted okra to your dinner menu. It’s a satisfying veggie dish that goes with just about anything.
Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
- 46 oz strained tomatoes or substitute canned crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 pound of ground beef or substitute turkey, chicken, or crumbled extra firm tofu
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggplant thinly sliced into “noodles” using a vegetable peeler.
- 2 zucchini thinly sliced into “noodles” using a vegetable peeler.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, balsamic vinegar, chili flakes, garlic, salt, and ground beef to a pot and simmer on low heat for approximately one hour until the sauce is thickened.
- Thinly slice the eggplant and/or zucchini using a vegetable peeler so they have a thickness similar to lasagna noodles.
- Layer the eggplant and zucchini with the sauce and ricotta in a large baking dish.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cook uncovered in a preheated oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Makes 8 portions of low carb eggplant lasagna.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.