This low carb eggplant lasagna is rich, hearty, and ideal if you’re looking to reduce your carbohydrate intake without feeling deprived in the slightest. This keto diet friendly lasagna recipe calls for thinly sliced eggplant and zucchini (but you certainly don’t need to use both – pick one or the other or a combination of the two), smothered in a rich beefy tomato sauce and layered with ricotta. Then it’s topped with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for extra richness and flavour.
This lasagna also happens to be gluten free, so it’s a good option for those of you that prefer (or need) to follow a gluten free diet.
I love how simple this low carb eggplant lasagna recipe is to make. It really is so easy to throw together at the last minute. I even skipped the usual step of browning the ground beef in a pan and it still turned out so delicious. Instead of browning the beef separately, I opted to just throw it in with the tomatoes and let it braise. This is a nice time saver for those of you with busy lifestyles looking to skip a step here and there.
A good splash of balsamic vinegar is always my secret ingredient whenever I make tomato sauce. It adds a hint of sweetness and tang which compliments the flavours from the tomatoes, bay leaf, and oregano.
Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
- 46 oz strained tomatoes or substitute canned crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 pound of ground beef or substitute turkey, chicken, or crumbled extra firm tofu
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggplant thinly sliced into “noodles” using a vegetable peeler.
- 2 zucchini thinly sliced into “noodles” using a vegetable peeler.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, balsamic vinegar, chili flakes, garlic, salt, and ground beef to a pot and simmer on low heat for approximately one hour until the sauce is thickened.
- Thinly slice the eggplant and/or zucchini using a vegetable peeler so they have a thickness similar to lasagna noodles.
- Layer the eggplant and zucchini with the sauce and ricotta in a large baking dish.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cook uncovered in a preheated oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Makes 8 portions of low carb eggplant lasagna.