These mini cornbread muffins are sweet, tender, and delicious. They’re gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free, and so easy to make.
These sweet mini corn muffins are perfect served alongside a bowl of vegan chilli, but they work equally well served on their own for a snack or breakfast.
These muffins are also perfect as a snack for babies, toddlers, and kids. My picky daughter devoured these and I suspect their cute, miniature size helped seal the deal for her.
Main ingredients in these mini cornbread muffins
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These mini muffins call for cornmeal and that’s an ingredient you definitely don’t want to substitute (the cornmeal is what gives these muffins their cornbread flavour).
If you want to add even more corn flavour to this recipe, feel free to add 1/2 cup of cooked corn kernels, just be sure to drain them well if they’re canned or frozen so the batter doesn’t end up watery.
If you want to add a spicy kick to these muffins, you could add a tablespoon of chopped jalapeños or a dash of cayenne pepper.
I opted to use almond milk in these vegan muffins, but you can substitute whatever plant based milk you prefer. If you need to keep these nut free, soy milk or oat milk are good alternatives.
I used oat flour in this recipe and haven’t tested other substitutions, but I suspect an all purpose gluten free flour mix would work well if you don’t want to use oat flour. I make oat flour by tossing some rolled oats in the food processor, then storing it in an airtight container. It’s an easy and inexpensive gluten free flour option that works well in baking.
I sweetened these muffins with a bit of maple syrup. I think the sweetness level is good but you can cut back on the maple syrup a bit to reduce the sugar if you prefer. You could also substitute honey if you don’t need these muffins to be vegan.
These mini cornbread muffins are so easy to make. Start by preparing a flax egg (see instructions in the recipe below). While the flax egg is setting, preheat your oven and mix up the dry ingredients.
Next you’ll add your wet ingredients and stir well. Then you’ll let the batter rest for five minutes at this point to achieve the optimal texture.
While the batter is resting, grease your mini muffin pans with a little olive oil. Alternatively you can use mini paper muffin liners.
Next you’ll fill the muffin cups up almost to the brim with batter and pop them in the oven until they’re cooked through and golden. Be sure to let them cool a bit before removing from the pan and serving.
More gluten free vegan recipes
For another yummy plant based muffin recipe, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They’re easy to make and perfect for breakfast or snack time.
Or try these vegan stuffed mushrooms. They’re filling and full of flavour.
These candied pecans are a tasty, gluten free, vegan snack. They’re made with simple ingredients and have the perfect balance of sweet and savoury.
Mini Cornbread Muffins
- Mini muffin pans
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk (or substitute your preferred plant based milk)
- 1 flax egg (A flax egg is made by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. See complete instructions below.)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus a bit extra to grease the mini muffin pans)
- Make a flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Stir well, then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder, and salt, then mix well.
- Add the almond milk, maple syrup, olive oil, and flax egg, then mix well.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Grease a mini muffin pan with some olive oil so that the cups are well coated (you can use a basting brush or some paper towel to do this. Alternatively you can use paper mini muffin cup liners).
- Fill the mini muffin cups with batter, then bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely before removing from the pan and serving.
- Makes 24 mini cornbread muffins.
- Optional additions include chopped jalapeño, cayenne pepper, and/or cooked corn kernels.
- Store the mini cornbread muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days or freeze them for longer term storage.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.