Soup season is in full swing and this paleo butternut squash soup is really hitting the spot. It’s spiced with fresh ginger and garlic and has plenty of dairy free creaminess from the coconut milk in this recipe.
In addition to being paleo diet friendly, gluten free, dairy free, and vegan, this silky smooth soup is also oil free and refined sugar free. Perfect for a clean eating diet and ideal if you’re dealing with multiple dietary restrictions.
This paleo butternut squash soup works equally well for entertaining guests or on a busy weeknight. It’s so simple and easy to make. There is no sautéing involved, just simply chop up the veggies and plunk them in a pot. Add the liquids and seasonings and simmer until cooked, then blend.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup – Main Ingredients And Substitutions
Despite how easy this dairy free butternut squash soup is to prepare, the flavours are deep and satisfying. The sweetness of the squash pairs perfectly with the savoury flavours of onion and garlic. The ginger and coconut milk add complexity and a silky smooth consistency to this healthy soup.
Feel free to make some substitutions in this recipe to suit your palate. If you’re not a fan of ginger, you can omit that and throw in some fresh sage leaves instead. And if coconut milk isn’t your thing, go ahead and substitute whatever plant based milk you prefer.
You could even substitute carrots instead of butternut squash if you love the sound of this soup but can’t find any butternut squash or don’t want to deal with peeling and chopping butternut squash. A bag of baby carrots instead of the squash would cut the prep time down to practically nothing.
This soup serves six people but you can certainly double the recipe and make a giant batch of this to feed a crowd. This would be lovely as a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas soup course. Or make a double batch of this paleo butternut squash soup when you have time and reheat the leftovers on busy weeknights or pack them in a thermos for school or work lunches.
More Soup Recipes:
For another nutritious plant based soup recipe, try this vegan cream of asparagus soup. It’s rich and delicious tasting yet quick and easy to prepare.
Or try this tasty vegan cream of cauliflower soup. It’s velvety smooth and perfect when you’re craving a creamy soup.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cups peeled and chopped raw butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Optional: garnish with fresh chives basil, or parsley
- Add the butternut squash, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, water, salt, and pepper to a large pot on the stove.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low-medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup to a smooth consistency (or transfer to a regular blender).
- Makes 6 servings of paleo butternut squash soup.
- You can substitute whatever plant based milk you prefer.
- This soup works well with carrots or sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash too, so feel free to substitute or do a combination.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.