These paleo lemon poppy seeds muffins are an easy and tasty breakfast or snack idea. They’re freezer friendly and so easy to whip up. These muffins are gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – Key Ingredients
These muffins call for fresh lemon zest and juice. Be sure not to substitute store bought lemon juice. You definitely want the bright, fresh flavour that you can only get from a freshly squeezed lemon.
To get the most juice out of the lemon, I like to place the lemon on a cutting board and press down on it firmly with the palm of my hand before cutting it it in half and squeezing the juice into a bowl.
As for the zest, there are a few different tools you can use to remove the zest from a lemon. My favourite is a microplane, but you can use a regular citrus zester or grater. There’s no substitute for freshly grated lemon zest. The zest is what gives these muffins their fragrant deliciousness.
Poppy seeds are the other key ingredient in this recipe. Any variety of poppy seed will do. If you want these muffins to be even more poppy seedy, feel free to double the amount of poppy seeds in the recipe. I prefer a more subtle poppy seed flavour that doesn’t overpower the lemon in this recipe, so I‘ll be sticking with 1 tablespoon of seeds.
These paleo lemon poppy seed muffins are so easy to make. Simply whisk together the wet ingredients, zest, and poppy seeds (a vigorous whisking for about 1 minute is perfect). Then whisk in the dry ingredients to incorporate them into the batter.
Next you’ll divide the muffin batter evenly to fill 12 paper lined muffin cups about 3/4 full. Pop them in the oven and that’s all there is to it.
These muffins freeze well. You can store them in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag and stash them in the freezer. Then thaw the muffins at room temperature or in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven when you want an easy, nutrient dense breakfast or snack.
More Muffin Recipes:
- These grain free banana muffins are easy to make and so delicious. They’re gluten free and refined sugar free.
- These paleo cranberry muffins strike the perfect balance of sweet and tart. They’re perfect for breakfast or snack time.
Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Muffin tray
- Paper muffin cups
- The juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, maple syrup, eggs, poppy seeds, vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk for about one minute.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and whisk again to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly into a muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 32 minutes.
- Makes 12 paleo lemon poppy seed muffins.
- Let cool before serving.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days (or freeze them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container).
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.