This vegan chocolate mousse is sweet, chocolaty, and rich tasting yet simultaneously light and airy. It’s sweetened with date paste and gets its creamy texture from cashews that have first been soaked, then blended with the other ingredients. This would make a lovely and healthy Valentine’s Day dessert for those of you looking for a delicious dairy free or vegan mousse that is sure to satisfy a chocolate craving.
Soaked cashews are the perfect way to add creaminess in vegan cooking because they have a neutral flavour that doesn’t overpower the other flavours in the recipe. You’d never know there were cashews in this vegan mouse as the chocolaty flavour from the cocoa powder combined with the sweetness from the date paste shine through.
Dress this chocolate mousse recipe up by topping it with raspberries, strawberries or whatever fruit happens to be in season. You could also add the zest of an orange or a clementine and turn this into orange chocolate mousse. A few drops of peppermint extract would also work too if you’re a chocolate mint lover.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak cashews in boiling water for 1 hour, then drain and rinse)
- 1 1/2 cups date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the soaked cashews, date paste, water, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract to a food processor or blender.
- Process/blend until smooth, light, and airy (approximately 5 minutes).
- Chill for at least two hours before serving.
- Makes 2 1/2 cups of vegan chocolate mousse.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse Nutritional Information: