This chocolate hazelnut spread is such a decadent treat. I’d choose this nutritious vegan, refined sugar free, dairy free chocolate spread over the store bought sugary stuff any day.
This spread is sweet, but not sickeningly sweet, and very chocolaty tasting with plenty of hazelnut flavour. It’s sweetened with date paste and doesn’t contain any added sugar. A bit of extra virgin olive gives this spread a lovely, rich consistency.
Use this chocolate hazelnut spread on toast, muffins, or just eat it off the spoon. This is so simple to prepare and perfect for kids and grown ups alike.
For another delicious snack idea, try these pecan stuffed dates. They’re an easy vegetarian snack or appetizer that’s perfect for parties.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Soak the hazelnuts overnight (or for approximately 10-12 hours).
- Add the hazelnuts, date paste, cocoa powder, and salt to a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups of chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.