This refined sugar free, gluten free, vegan peanut butter banana bread is a delicious plant-based treat for those of you who love the combination of peanut butter and banana. This recipe works equally well for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
This vegan banana bread is moist, sweet, delicious, and contains nutritious ingredients. It freezes well, so you can slice it, freeze it, and thaw out a piece for an on-the-go breakfast.
This recipe calls for natural peanut butter. I find the smooth variety works best. Be sure to select peanut butter with no added sugar or salt. The only ingredient listed on the jar should be peanuts.
I used oat flour in this vegan peanut butter banana bread. I generally prefer to bake with oat flour because it’s whole grain and gluten free (just make sure it is labelled as gluten free to avoid cross contamination with gluten, if that is a requirement for you).
Many grocery stores carry oat flour these days, but I prefer to make my own at home. It’s easy to do and more economical. To make oat flour, simply fill your food processor with rolled oats and process for 2 minutes, then store it in an airtight container.
This recipe calls for a flax egg instead of a traditional egg. Flax eggs are easy to make and work very well in vegan baking. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then leave that mixture in the fridge to thicken for 10 minutes.
Be sure to select bananas that are quite ripe with plenty of brown spots for this vegan peanut butter banana bread. The riper the bananas, the sweeter the end result will be.
In addition to the sweetness from the ripe bananas, this banana bread is sweetened further with date paste. Date paste is a nutritious natural sweetener made from dates that have been soaked and then blended. See my date paste recipe for precise instructions.
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
For another delicious plant based treat, try these oatmeal cookies. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Or try these vegan peanut butter cookies. They’re easy to make and have the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- 1 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 flax eggs (to make a flax egg simply mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then leave the mixture in the fridge to thicken for 10 minutes)
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the date paste, mashed bananas, peanut butter, salt, and flax egg to a mixing bowl and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the oat flour with the baking powder, then add that mixture to the wet ingredients and stir again until combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch loaf pan and bake at in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 10 slices of vegan peanut butter banana bread.
- Store this banana bread in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.