This gluten free, vegan sweet potato casserole hits the spot when you’re craving something warm, cozy, and substantial. It’s perfect as a plant-based side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Gluten Free Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole – Main Ingredients
The star of this casserole is the crispy, crumbly topping made from fresh sage leaves, chives, garlic, pecans, and oat flour (or substitute whatever flour you prefer).
Fresh sage is the perfect herb to complement the flavour of sweet potatoes. The sage gives this dish a woodsy, autumnal flavour that is comforting and so delicious. In a pinch, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried sage, but do go for the fresh sage if possible.
This sweet potato casserole is so easy to make. Start by preparing the mashed sweet potatoes. My preferred method of cooking sweet potatoes is to cut them into thick slices and bake them in the oven until they’re tender. Alternatively you can boil or steam the sweet potatoes instead.
Once your sweet potatoes are cooked, slip off the skins (you should be able to remove them easily with your fingers). Then you can use a potato masher or a fork to mash them up before transferring them to your baking dish.
All that’s left is to mix up the savoury crumb topping, sprinkle in an even layer on top of the mashed sweet potatoes, and bake.
If you’re serving this gluten free vegan sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving or Christmas, go ahead and double or triple the recipe if necessary and just use a larger baking dish (or multiple dishes). Make lots as I suspect both your herbivore and carnivore guests will enjoy this dish.
You can prepare this dish up to a few days in advance and reheat in the oven before serving. You can also reheat this casserole in the microwave, but the crumb topping will lose some of it’s crispiness.
More gluten free vegan recipes
For another plant based, gluten free recipe, try these vegan stuffed portobello mushrooms. They’re filling, festive, and so tasty.
Or try this creamy, delicious plant-based baked polenta recipe. It’s easy to make and perfect paired with stew or sauteed mushrooms.
Gluten Free Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 cups cooked and peeled mashed sweet potatoes (bake 5-6 medium sized sweet potatoes in the oven or boil them in a pot of water until tender. Then peel and mash with a potato masher)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (or substitute cassava flour or any gluten free flour of your choosing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon the mashed sweet potatoes into an 8 inch baking dish and spread them in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, add the pecans, oat flour (or any other gluten free flour you prefer), garlic, salt, pepper, sage, chives and olive oil.
- Mix well and then spread that mixture over the mashed sweet potatoes in an even layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings of gluten free vegan sweet potato casserole.
- For a nut free version of this recipe, substitute pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds instead of pecans.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.