This pumpernickel flourless bread is gluten-free and lower in carbs than most breads. It's soft, fluffy, and toasts up nicely.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (with no added sugar or salt)
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Add the eggs, almond butter, blackstrap molasses, cocoa powder, vinegar or lemon juice, and salt to a large mixing bowl, then whisk well.
Add the baking soda and whisk briefly to incorporate it.
Transfer that mixture to a medium sized, parchment paper lined loaf pan (my pan is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches).
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf looks clean upon removal.
Let the bread cool before removing from the pan and serving.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
You can omit the blackstrap molasses and cocoa powder for a plainer, lower-carb, non-pumpernickel version of this flourless bread.
- Optional addition: add 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds, sesame seeds, or everything but the bagel seasoning to the batter. You can also sprinkle some extra on top of the loaf after you've transferred it to the loaf pan before baking.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 1mg