Paleo Chocolate Loaf
This paleo chocolate loaf cake is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. It's an easy dessert recipe that's nutritious yet decadent.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted) - plus a little extra to grease the pan
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, vinegar or lemon juice, applesauce, cocoa powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk well until all the ingredients are very well mixed.
Add the coconut flour and baking soda and whisk again until the dry ingredients are well incorporated into the wet ingredients.
Use a small amount of coconut oil to grease and line a medium sized loaf pan with parchment paper (my pan is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches)
Spoon the batter into the parchment paper lined loaf pan.
Use a spatula to smooth the batter down so the surface is flat and even.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes or until the cake is cooked through (you can test to see if it's done by inserting a cake tester or toothpick into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready).
Let cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
Makes 10 slices of paleo chocolate loaf cake.
- Greasing the loaf pan with a small amount of coconut oil allows the parchment paper to adhere well to the pan.
- Optional toppings: you can sprinkle some chopped walnuts, pecans, or paleo diet friendly chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking for an extra layer of texture and richness.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 143IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg