This vegan puttanesca pasta is a plant based version of a classic Italian inspired dish.
- 340 grams brown rice pasta (or substitute your preferred pasta)
- 4 cups strained tomatoes (or substitute crushed tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup black olives (pitted and cut in quarters)
- 1/4 cup capers (drained)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Optional garnish: fresh chopped parsley
Add the extra virgin olive oil and garlic to a large pot on the stove and sauté on low heat for approximately one minute to cook the garlic.
Add the strained tomatoes, oregano, and dried chilli flakes, then simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
Add the black olives and capers and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
While the strained tomato mixture is simmering, cook the spaghetti in a separate pot according to the instructions on the package.
Drain the pasta and add it to the pot with the sauce, then simmer for one minute so the pasta absorbs some of the sauce.
Garnish with plenty of fresh parsley (optional) and serve hot.
Makes 6 portions of vegan puttanesca pasta.
- Use the largest olives you can find for this recipe.
- Be sure to garnish with plenty of chopped parsley because it adds an important layer of fresh flavour to this dish.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 689mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 448IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2mg