Mini Cornbread Muffins
These mini cornbread muffins are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and so easy to make.
Servings: 12 Servings (2 muffins per serving)
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk (or substitute your preferred plant based milk)
- 1 flax egg (A flax egg is made by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. See complete instructions below.)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus a bit extra to grease the mini muffin pans)
Make a flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Stir well, then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder, and salt, then mix well.
Add the almond milk, maple syrup, olive oil, and flax egg, then mix well.
Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes.
Grease a mini muffin pan with some olive oil so that the cups are well coated (you can use a basting brush or some paper towel to do this. Alternatively you can use paper mini muffin cup liners).
Fill the mini muffin cups with batter, then bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Allow the muffins to cool completely before removing from the pan and serving.
Makes 24 mini cornbread muffins.
- Optional additions include chopped jalapeño, cayenne pepper, and/or cooked corn kernels.
- Store the mini cornbread muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days or freeze them for longer term storage.
Serving: 2Muffins | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 124mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg