Black Bean Chocolate Cake
This black bean chocolate cake is gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free, and grain free. It's sweet and chocolaty with a fudgy, brownie-like texture.
- 1 cup canned black beans with no salt added (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (peeled)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or substitute lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the black beans, sweet potato, almond butter, maple syrup, cocoa powder, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and salt to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the food processor or blender as necessary to achieve a smooth batter.
Add the coconut flour and baking soda and blend once more to incorporate.
Grease a 9 inch round or square baking pan with coconut oil, then transfer the batter to the pan and use a spatula to smooth the batter into an even layer.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes.
Let cool completely before serving.
Makes 10 slices of black bean chocolate cake.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup each of chopped nuts or dark chocolate chips.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze for up to six months.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 204mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1887IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg