Buckwheat Banana Bread
This buckwheat banana bread is made with buckwheat flour. This nutritious treat is gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free. It's filling and so delicious.
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the bananas to a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher or fork to mash them well.
Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple cider vinegar, then mix well.
Add the melted coconut oil and mix again.
Add the buckwheat flour and baking soda and use a whisk to mix well.
Pour the batter into a medium sized parchment paper lined loaf pan (mine is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches).
Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the banana bread looks clean upon removal).
Let cool before removing from the pan and slicing.
Makes 12 slices of buckwheat banana bread.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days or freeze for up to six months.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup each of dairy free dark chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and/or chopped walnuts.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 2mg