Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto
This vegan butternut squash risotto is a delicious plant-based comfort food dish for dinner or lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups peeled and chopped raw butternut squash
- 1 cup coconut milk (or substitute any plant based milk you prefer)
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves
- Optional: garnish with more fresh basil and some chopped nuts such as pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts.
Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions to a large pot on the stove and sauté for 2 minutes on medium heat until the onions are softened.
Add the arborio rice and sauté for another 2 minutes to coat the rice grains and toast them slightly.
Add the butternut squash, coconut milk, water, salt, and pepper.
Cover the pot and cook on low-medium heat for 27 minutes or until the arborio rice is cooked through.
Remove from heat and stir in the fresh basil.
Optional: garnish with some more fresh basil and some chopped nuts such as pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts.
Makes 8 servings of vegan butternut squash risotto.
- You can substitute your preferred plant based milk.
- You can use any other squash or even sweet potato cut into cubes instead of butternut squash.
- The basil can be substituted with fresh sage or parsley.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 230mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5581IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg