These caramelized mushrooms are intensely flavorful and delicious. They're the perfect side dish for special occasions or comfort food meals.
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or substitute your preferred oil)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Add the olive oil to a large sautee pan on the stove and set the heat to medium-high.
Add the mushrooms and salt to the pan.
Cook the mushrooms until the liquid they release evaporates completely and they turn a golden brown color. Stir frequently to ensure the mushrooms don’t burn (this should take approximately 15-20 minutes).
Once the mushrooms are a golden brown color, turn the heat down to low and add the garlic, thyme, and black pepper, then continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Serve hot, or store in the fridge for up to five days.
Makes 4 servings of caramelized mushrooms.
- Optional additions include fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, chives, tarragon, or sage. Or for an extra hit of umami flavor, add a teaspoon of tamari or coconut aminos toward the end of the cooking process.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 382mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg