This blackberry bread has just the right amount of sweetness to satisfy a dessert craving, but it also makes a great healthy breakfast or snack. Plus it happens to be gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and paleo diet friendly.
I absolutely love blackberries for their sweet (but not too sweet) flavour, their deep rich colour, and their juicy texture. This bread is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy some blackberries in a baked treat that you can serve to brunch guests, tuck into lunch boxes, or grab a slice on the go for a quick healthy breakfast.
This recipe is so easy to make. It’s a one bowl recipe that comes together in minutes so it really is great for entertaining. You can serve it warmish (but not hot or it will fall apart when you try to slice it). I like it best at room temperature though.
The secret ingredient that gives this recipe a lovely and unique flavour is a touch of orange zest. I strongly suggest you don’t skip the zest because it adds a subtle layer of flavour that compliments the blackberries so nicely. In a pinch you could substitute lemon zest if you’re out of oranges. Clementines are perfect too.
The combination of the blackberries, orange zest and vanilla is perfect if you’re craving something a little different. Until I made this blackberry bread I didn’t realize how much I enjoy the flavour of baked blackberries. I had always thought of blackberries as something that’s best eaten raw, but they’re actually delicious in baked goods!
This bread is higher in protein than most cakes/breads because it calls for coconut flour instead of a grain flour such as wheat.
Coconut flour is higher in protein and fibre than wheat flour so I believe it’s a healthier choice. This recipe also contains 6 eggs so that ups the protein factor quite a bit too.
To keep this treat dairy free, I used extra virgin olive oil as the healthy fat in this recipe. I love the flavour of olive in pretty much all cakes, muffins and breads, and since it’s healthy and affordable it’s become my go-to oil for baking. I particularly love the flavour of the extra virgin olive oil in this recipe.
- 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup blackberries
- Add the unsweetened applesauce, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, vanilla extract, orange zest, and eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and stir to incorporate.
- Coconut flour can be lumpy so be sure to incorporate any lumps.
- Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Pour the batter into a medium sized loaf pan (mine is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches) and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55 minutes.
- Makes approximately 10 slices of blackberry bread.
Blackberry Bread Nutritional Information:
Paleo Sweet Potato Bread