These grain free crackers are easy to make and perfect for dipping in hummus, guacamole, or any other dip you like. These would be a tasty addition to a cheese board, or just enjoy them on their own when you’re craving something crunchy. In addition to being grain free, these crackers are also gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe calls for two slightly unusual ingredients: chickpea flour and tapioca flour (aka tapioca starch). Whether you follow a strict grain free diet or simply want to incorporate more grain free meals and snacks into your diet, those are two handy ingredients to keep stocked in your pantry. They can be tricky to find at groceries stores but can be ordered online.
I used extra virgin olive oil in these crackers but you can substitute another oil if you prefer. Avocado oil is a good alternative.
I like to sprinkle some poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top of the raw cracker batter before baking. You could also add some granulated onion and/or garlic for an extra savoury flavour boost if you want.
How to make these
These crackers are so easy to prepare. Start by preheating the oven, then mix together the dry ingredients. Add the cold water and extra virgin olive oil, then use a whisk to mix everything together until the batter looks smooth.
Next you’ll line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the cracker batter overtop. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the batter into as thin a layer as possible.
Sprinkle on any optional toppings, then bake until golden brown and crispy (this should take about 28 minutes). Once it’s completely cooled, break into shards. These crackers don’t need to be uniform shapes – just break them into roughly similar sizes.
What to serve them with
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days. Because these grain free crackers don’t contain any artificial preservatives they do lose some of their crispness after a few days.
More grain free recipes to try
These coconut candy bars are a mouth watering gluten free and grain free treat. They’re easy to make, filling, and so delicious.
Or try these elegant chocolate covered dates. They’re perfect for special occasions.
Grain Free Crackers
- Parchment paper
- Sheet pans
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (aka tapioca starch)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the chickpea flour, tapioca flour, and salt to a mixing bowl, then stir.
- Add the cold water and olive oil, then use a whisk to mix well.
- Pour that mixture onto a large parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the batter into as thin a layer as possible.
- Sprinkle on toppings such as poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, then break into shards.
- Store these grain free crackers in an airtight container for up to three days.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.