These paleo blueberry banana muffins combine the fresh summery flavour of blueberry muffins with the warm coziness of banana bread. These muffins are refined sugar free, dairy fee, and gluten free too. They make a nutritious and easy breakfast, snack or treat.
Main Ingredients In Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins
I love the combination of blueberries and bananas, but you could certainly play around with some substitutions in this recipe if you like. You could swap the blueberries for raspberries, strawberries, cherries, blackberries or even some chopped apples. You could also add some chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds to turn these blueberry banana muffins into a more filling breakfast or snack.
These muffins are made with coconut flour, which is a nutritious alternative to wheat flour, commonly used in paleo baking. I don’t recommend substituting alternative flours in this recipe becaue coconut flour is much more absorbent than most other flours. You can find coconut flour at many grocery and health food stores or you can order it online.
I happened to have a bag of frozen blueberries that I wanted to use up when I made these muffins, but they’re even better when made with fresh blueberries, so use whichever you’ve got.
If you’re not a fan of bananas you can substitute 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce to create a healthy gluten free, dairy free, and paleo blueberry muffin recipe.
These paleo blueberry banana muffins are refined sugar free and sweetened only with dates (plus the sweetness from the ripe bananas). The combination of the two gives these muffins plenty of sweetness with no added sugar.
I used olive oil in these muffins, but feel free to substitute whichever type of oil you prefer. Liquid coconut oil or avocado oil are good alternatives.
Next time you have some overripe bananas laying around, whip up a batch of these muffins (or make a double batch and freeze some for later). They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
More Paleo Muffin Recipes
For another paleo muffin recipe, try these grain free banana muffins. They’re dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, easy to make and so delicious.
Or try these yummy paleo sweet potato muffins. They’re sweet, moist, and perfect for tricking picky kids into eating something nutritious.
Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender
- 2 ripe bananas
- 12 dates
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas, dates, olive oil, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth (or use a regular blender or food processor).
- Stir in the coconut flour and baking soda.
- Add the blueberries and stir once more.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a preheated oven for 38 minutes.
- Makes 12 blueberry banana muffins.
- You can swap the blueberries for your preferred berry. Raspberries or chopped strawberries are good alternatives.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.