These paleo blueberry banana muffins combine the fresh summery flavour of blueberry muffins with the warm coziness of nutmegy (I declare that a word) banana bread. These muffins are refined sugar free, dairy fee and gluten free too. They make a nutritious and easy breakfast, snack or treat.
Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins – Key Ingredients & Substitutions
I love the combination of blueberries and bananas, but you could certainly play around with some substitutions in this gluten free blueberry banana muffins recipe. You could swap the blueberries for raspberries, strawberries, cherries, blackberries or even some chopped apples. You could also add some chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds to turn these blueberry banana muffins into a more filling breakfast or snack.
These muffins are made with coconut flour, which is a nutritious alternative to wheat flour that’s perfect if you’re trying to keep things gluten free or grain free.
I happened to have a bag of frozen blueberries that I wanted to use up when I made these muffins, but they’d be even better with fresh blueberries and I’ll definitely be making these again when I have some fresh berries on hand (although I do sort of love how the frozen blueberries instantly turn the batter a deranged green colour).
If you’re not a fan of bananas you can substitute 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce to create a healthy gluten free, dairy free, and paleo blueberry muffin recipe.
I love creating treats with no added sugar, so I kept these blueberry banana muffins refined sugar free by sweetening them with some dates. Dates plus the sweetness from the ripe bananas gives these muffins all the sweetness you’ll want.
Next time you have some overripe bananas laying around, whip up a batch of these paleo blueberry banana muffins (or make a double batch and freeze some for later).
For another paleo muffin recipe, try these grain free banana muffins. They’re dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, easy to make and so delicious.
Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 12 dates
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Add the bananas, dates, olive oil, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- You can also do this in a regular blender or food processor if you prefer.
- Stir in the coconut flour and baking soda.
- Add the blueberries and stir once more.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a preheated oven for 38 minutes.
- Makes 12 blueberry banana muffins.
- You can swap the blueberries for your preferred berry. Raspberries or chopped strawberries are good alternatives.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.