If you haven’t tried baking with chickpea flour yet, this chickpea flour banana bread is a delicious way to start. It’s grain free, gluten free, vegan, and easy to make. This nutritious banana bread is chock full of fiber, protein, and many essential vitamins and nutrients. It’s a filling and tasty make-ahead breakfast, snack, or dessert.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpea flour is a nutritious grain free, gluten free flour alternative. It’s made from dried ground chickpeas. It’s sometimes called garbanzo flour or gram flour and it’s commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern recipes. It adds a warm, earthy flavour and satisfying texture to baked goods. Chickpea flour can sometimes be tricky to find in grocery stores so I prefer to purchase it online.
Or if you’ve got a food processor and spice grinder then you can easily make your own chickpea flour at home.
This recipe calls for coconut milk but you can substitute any other type of milk you prefer. Almond milk or oat milk are good alternatives.
I love using olive oil in baked goods but you can substitute other oils if you prefer (melted coconut oil is a good alternative). Or if you prefer to avoid oil altogether then you can substitute any type of nut butter (or seed butter) for an oil free version of this banana bread.
I sweetened this banana bread with maple syrup but you can substitute honey if you prefer (and if you don’t need it to be strictly vegan).
I spiced this banana bread with plenty of cinnamon as well as a pinch of nutmeg because I love the warm, cozy flavour those spices add. You can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg if you prefer.
How to make it
This banana bread is really easy to prepare. Start by preheating your oven, then select your bananas – the riper the better. Choose bananas that have plenty of brown spots. This ensures a sweet and flavourful end result.
Next you’ll mash up the bananas. I like to use a potato masher to do this but a fork is fine too.
Once the bananas are well mashed, add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well. Then use a whisk to mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in any optional additions such as chopped dark chocolate, pecans, or walnuts.
Transfer the batter to a parchment paper lined medium sized loaf pan (my pan is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches). Feel free to sprinkle on some extra toppings before popping the chickpea flour banana bread in the oven to bake.
More gluten free banana bread recipes
This paleo coconut flour banana bread is easy to make and turned out great. It’s dairy free, grain free, and refined sugar free.
Or try this buckwheat banana bread. It’s perfect topped with a drizzle of nut butter.
Chickpea Flour Banana Bread
- 3 bananas (ripe)
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Optional: 1/2 cup each of chopped dark chocolate, chopped walnuts, and/or chopped pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash them well (you can use a potato masher or fork)
- Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, olive oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vinegar or lemon juice, then mix well.
- Add the chickpea flour and baking soda and use a whisk to mix well.
- Stir in any optional additions such as 1/2 cup each of chopped dark chocolate, chopped walnuts, and/or chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into a medium sized parchment paper lined loaf pan (mine is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches).
- Bake for 48 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean).
- Let cool before removing from the pan.
- Makes 12 servings of chickpea flour banana bread.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days or freeze for up to six months.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.