This gluten-free plum cake is sweet, fragrant, and delicious. The combination of vanilla and ripe, juicy, fresh plums is just right. This nutritious cake is also dairy free, refined sugar free, and paleo diet friendly. This cake is easy to make and delicious.
What to serve with this gluten-free plum cake
If you’re serving this cake at a party and would like another gluten-free option for your guests to choose from, try these decadent almond butter chocolates. They’re vegan and refined sugar free.
Main ingredients and substitutions
I prefer to use red plums in this cake. Their color is so pretty and I love their flavor as well. But any type of plum will work, so use whatever is fresh, ripe, and seasonal.
This gluten-free plum cake recipe would be delicious with other varieties of stone fruit such as nectarines or peaches (or really any type of fruit imaginable), so feel free to substitute.
This recipe is sweetened with maple syrup but you can substitute honey if you prefer.
This cake is flavored with pure vanilla extract. It’s important to use the pure extract as opposed to artificial vanilla flavoring if possible. You can really taste the difference. Alternatively you can substitute the seeds of one vanilla bean pod.
This recipe calls for coconut flour and I don’t recommend substituting any other types of flour. Coconut flour is much more absorbent than other flours and works best when combined with a lot of eggs (this cake requires five eggs and I don’t recommend substituting those either).
I used extra virgin olive oil as the fat in this cake. You can substitute any other oil you prefer (or melted butter if you don’t need this cake to be dairy-free).
How to make it
This cake is quick and easy to prepare. Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then wash, dry, and thinly slice the plums.
Add the eggs, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, pure vanilla extract, and salt to the mixing bowl and use a whisk to mix well.
Add the coconut flour and baking powder, then whisk some more to combine.
Next you’ll grease a nine inch baking pan with extra virgin olive oil (I used a round pan but any shape is fine) and place a piece of parchment paper covering the bottom of the pan.
Alternatively you can use a springform pan if you prefer (this makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan and transfer it to a pretty cake stand for a special occasion).
Transfer the cake batter to the pan and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread it in an even layer. Then add the thinly sliced plums on top. You can create a symmetrical pattern with the plum slices for a fancier presentation or just place them randomly for a more rustic look (I opted for rustic this time).
Bake the cake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Then let the cake cool off before serving.
Storage and freezing
Store this gluten-free plum cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze it for up to six months.
More gluten-free fruit recipes to try
- This chocolate buckwheat cake is easy to make and delicious.
- These caramelized peaches are sweet, golden brown, and juicy.
- These chocolate covered pineapple rings are perfect for entertaining.
- These lemonade popsicles are a refreshing, budget-friendly, summertime treat.
Gluten-Free Plum Cake
- 9 inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- 5 eggs (pasture raised and certified humane)
- 2 fresh ripe plums
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil (for the batter, plus 1 extra teaspoon to grease the pan)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash, dry, and thinly slice the plums.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, pure vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and use a whisk to mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder, then whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Grease the sides of a 9 inch baking pan with olive oil or melted coconut oil (I used a round pan but square is fine too), then place a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the cake batter to the baking pan and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the batter into an even layer.
- Place the sliced plums on top of the batter (you can create a pretty pattern with the plum slices or just place them on top randomly for a more rustic look).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Let the cake cool before serving.
- Store this gluten-free plum cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze it for up to six months.
You might also like
- These stuffed dates are an easy, elegant, and delicious appetizer for special occasions.
- These scalloped potatoes with almond milk are the perfect vegan side dish for the holidays.
- This balsamic roasted asparagus are nutrient dense and loaded with flavor.
- This vegan butternut squash risotto is the perfect plat-based meal for fall.