This vegan green goddess dressing really is aptly named (it’s very green and tastes like food of the gods). It’s deliciously herbaceous from the fresh basil, tarragon, parsley and chives. It’s rich and creamy from the avocado, and it’s refreshingly zingy from the fresh lemon juice. And I love that it can be used interchangeably as a dressing, dip or sauce.
Plenty of fresh herbs give this dressing its fresh, delicious flavour. Feel free to play around with the mix of fresh herbs in this dressing recipe. If you love cilantro (I do not!) go ahead and add some instead of (or in addition to) the parsley. Mint would be a nice addition or substitution as well. Practically any combination of fresh herbs will work nicely.
Avocado gives this dressing its creamy texture and adds plenty of nutritional benefits. If you’re not a fan of avocado you can omit it but the texture won’t be creamy.
Some fresh lemon juice adds a bright, tangy flavour to this dressing. You can substitute fresh lime juice if you prefer.
What to serve with this dressing
You can make a delicious salad by tossing this vegan green goddess dressing with some lettuce, baby spinach or arugula (or any other greens of your choosing).
This dressing works equally well tossed with salad greens or served alongside crackers and raw veggies as a healthy green goddess dip. Or use it as a sauce for fish, seafood or tofu.
And since the weather is finally perfect for barbecuing, why not slice up a bunch of vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini, peppers, asparagus, portobello mushrooms or whatever veggies you like and grill them to perfection, then assemble them on a big platter and drizzle generous amounts of this sauce on top. Such an easy and delicious light summer side dish.
You could even drizzle some dressing on top of grilled chicken, steak, or use it as a healthy sauce to top burgers or veggie burgers.
You can use this vegan green goddess dressing as a healthy alternative to many store bought condiments and sauces. It’s full of healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil, plus plenty of nutrients from all those fresh herbs and lemon juice. So go ahead and spread it on your sandwich instead of mayonnaise.
There are so many delicious options for this dressing and you really can’t go wrong.
More salad ideas
- For another delicious way to get your greens in, try this sweet baby kale salad.
- This maple salad dressing has the perfect balance of sweet and savoury flavours.
- This watermelon salad is perfect for summertime entertaining.
Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add the basil, tarragon, parsley, chives, lemon juice, olive oil, avocado, water, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor or blender.
- Process/blend until a smooth texture is achieved.
- Makes approximately 1 1/3 cups of vegan green goddess dressing.
- You can substitute whichever fresh herbs you prefer in this recipe.