These oven roasted bell peppers are delicious and easy to make. Add them to sandwiches, salads, pastas, or enjoy them as a simple side dish. They’re a tasty addition to any meal and pair well with a wide variety of main courses.
What to serve with these oven roasted bell peppers
These peppers would be a delicious addition to salads, sandwiches, or tacos. Or add some to this delicious lemon basil pasta. These peppers would also be tasty blended up into pureed soups or pasta sauces. Or serve them as a simple side dish with practically any main course.
Main ingredients and substitutions
You can use any color bell peppers you like in this dish. I’m partial to red, orange, and yellow peppers. It’s nice to make an assortment of different color peppers so people can choose their favorites.
Extra virgin olive oil is my preferred oil when making these oven roasted bell peppers. You can substitute avocado oil or any other oil that is neutral in flavor.
Garlic powder adds a savory layer of flavor to the peppers. You can substitute onion powder, fresh garlic, or jarred chopped garlic if you prefer. Or you can omit it altogether if you’re not a fan of garlic.
How to make them
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, remove the stems and seeds from the peppers. My preferred method of removing the seeds and stem of a pepper is to start by slicing off the end of the pepper opposite to the stem.
Then I stand the pepper up, stem side down, and make thick slices, starting from the cut side of the pepper toward the stem end.
Then I repeat until all that remains is the stem attached to the cluster of seeds.
Once the stems and seeds have been removed, cut the peppers into approximately one inch wide strips.
Repeat that process with the rest of the bell peppers, then add them to a sheet pan along with the extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to toss the peppers in the olive oil and spices, ensuring they are well coated, then spread the peppers in an even layer on the sheet pan.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until they are fork tender with dark brown edges.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh basil, parsley, or chives on top of the peppers before serving.
Store these oven roasted bell peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat them in the oven or microwave before serving. Or serve them at room temperature if you prefer.
More roasted vegetable recipes to try
- This roasted butternut squash is an easy, delicious side dish that’s perfect for the holidays.
- This baked asparagus recipe is quick and easy to make.
- These roasted onions are juicy and flavorful.
- These roasted radishes are a tasty alternative to potatoes.
Oven Roasted Bell Peppers
- Sheet pan
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Optional addition: 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, or chives.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is preheating, remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and cut the peppers into approximately one inch wide strips.
- Add the peppers, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a sheet pan.
- Use your hands to toss the peppers in the olive oil and spices, ensuring they are well coated, then spread the peppers in an even layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until they are fork tender with dark brown edges.
- Optional step: sprinkle finely chopped fresh basil, parsley, or chives on top of the peppers before serving.
- Store these oven roasted bell peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
You might also like
- These hasselback sweet potatoes are an easy, delicious side dish that can be prepared in advance.
- This stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe is perfect for the holidays.
- This almond butter chocolates recipe is easy to make and perfect for gifting.
- This creamy sweet potato pasta sauce is perfect for fall or winter.