These grain free banana muffins are paleo diet friendly, gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. They’re easy to make and are perfect for a nutritious breakfast or snack. These muffins have a light and cakey texture and they’re just sweet enough to entice a picky kid.
Main Ingredients In Grain Free Banana Muffins
These muffins are sweetened with date paste instead of sugar, which makes them particularly nutrient dense since dates are an excellent source of various vitamins, antioxidants, and fibre. Date paste is easy to make – simply soak dates in boiling water, then blend them up. See my date paste recipe for precise instructions.
Paleo baking often calls for either almond flour or coconut flour and I opted to use coconut flour in this recipe. I love using coconut flour in treats like muffins and cakes because it has a slight sweetness that complements the flavour of the bananas.
Coconut flour is a great option if you’re trying to cut carbs since it’s lower in carbohydrates than wheat flour or other grain based flours. It’s also higher in fibre so it’s a great choice if you’re looking to up your fibre intake.
These grain free banana muffins are the perfect portable breakfast or snack to pack for school or work. Make an extra batch to freeze so you can pull one out when you’re short on time and want something nutritious on-the-go.
I love the combination of bananas and walnuts so I threw some chopped walnuts into these grain free banana muffins. Pecans would be delicious in these muffins too so feel free to substitute. If you need to keep these muffins nut free (or just aren’t a fan of walnuts) you could substitute pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
If you like your muffins on the sweeter side, add 1/2 cup of raisins or paleo chocolate chips. Or for an extra special treat serves these muffins with a drizzle of this tahini frosting on top.
More Paleo Baking Recipes
- For another easy and delicious muffin recipe, try these paleo blueberry banana muffins. They’re gluten free, dairy free, grain free and don’t contain any added sugar.
- Or try this delicious coconut flour banana bread. It’s easy to make and perfect for brunch, school snacks, or as a make-ahead breakfast.
Grain Free Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas, date paste, olive oil, vanilla, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth (or a regular blender which will work just as well).
- Alternatively you can skip the blending altogether and just mash the bananas by hand, whisk the eggs, and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and stir until incorporated.
- Add the walnuts (optional) and stir once more.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tray with paper muffin liners and bake for 33 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Makes 12 paleo banana muffins.
- For a nut free version of this muffin, omit the walnuts or substitute with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.