These grain-free banana muffins are paleo diet friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free. They’re easy to make and are perfect for a nutritious breakfast or snack. These muffins have a light and cakey texture and they’re just sweet enough to entice a picky kid.
These muffins are sweetened with date paste instead of sugar, which makes them particularly nutrient dense since dates are an excellent source of various vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. Date paste is easy to make – simply soak dates in boiling water, then blend them up. See my date paste recipe for precise instructions.
Paleo baking often calls for either almond flour or coconut flour and I opted to use coconut flour in this recipe. I love using coconut flour in treats like muffins and cakes because it has a slight sweetness that complements the flavor of the bananas.
Coconut flour is a great option if you’re trying to cut carbs since it’s lower in carbohydrates than wheat flour or other grain based flours. It’s also higher in fiber so it’s a great choice if you’re looking to up your fiber intake.
These grain-free banana muffins are the perfect portable breakfast or snack to pack for school or work. Make an extra batch to freeze so you can pull one out when you’re short on time and want something nutritious on-the-go.
I love the combination of bananas and walnuts so I threw some chopped walnuts into these grain-free banana muffins. Pecans would be delicious in these muffins too so feel free to substitute. If you need to keep these muffins nut-free (or just aren’t a fan of walnuts) you could substitute pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
If you like your muffins on the sweeter side, add 1/2 cup of raisins or paleo chocolate chips. Or for an extra special treat serves these muffins with a drizzle of this tahini chocolate frosting on top.
More paleo recipes made with coconut flour
- For another easy and delicious recipe, try these paleo coconut oil cookies.
- These grain-free crepes are delicious served with either sweet or savory fillings.
- Or try this delicious banana bread made with coconut flour.
- This sweet, tart, lemon cake is paleo, gluten free, and dairy free.
Grain-Free Banana Muffins (Paleo, Gluten-Free, & Dairy-Free)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas, date paste, olive oil, vanilla, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth (or a regular blender which will work just as well).
- Alternatively you can skip the blending altogether and just mash the bananas by hand, whisk the eggs, and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and stir until incorporated.
- Add the walnuts (optional) and stir once more.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tray with paper muffin liners and bake for 33 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Makes 12 paleo banana muffins.
- For a nut-free version of this muffin, omit the walnuts or substitute with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Store these muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freezer for up to six months.