This paleo sweet potato bread is my favourite grain free dessert as of late. It’s got just the right amount of sweetness from the raw honey, has a soft, cakey, satisfying texture, and is mildly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and orange zest.
This recipe is perfect if you’re accommodating multiple dietary restrictions, as it’s gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, grain free and paleo diet friendly.
Paleo Sweet Potato Bread – Substitutions And Key Ingredients
If you don’t happen to have an orange on hand and still want to make this gluten free sweet potato bread recipe – fine, but you should probably go out and get one instead! The orange zest compliments the flavours of the sweet potato and honey so nicely that it would be a shame to omit it. Clementine, tangerine or even grapefruit zest are good substitutes in this recipe if need be, and are definitely preferable to omitting the zest altogether.
I used coconut flour in this paleo sweet potato bread recipe (as I have been using in most of my baked goods lately) because it’s a delightful gluten free and grain free flour with lots of nutritional value, plus it’s lower in carbs and higher in fibre than most grain flours.
Coconut flour adds just a hint of coconut flavour to this paleo sweet potato bread recipe, but really it’s barely perceptible. The sweet potato, honey, spices, and zest are much more noticeable.
I tend to bake with extra virgin olive oil because I love the rich, warm flavour it adds to baked goods, both sweet and savoury. Feel free to substitute your preferred oil though. Melted coconut oil or avocado oil would be nice alternatives.
This paleo sweet potato bread would make a delicious dessert, breakfast, or snack. Wrap up a slice and pack it for school snacks or bring it to work for a healthy snack that’s so delicious with a cup of tea.
For another refined sugar free and gluten free loaf, try this oat flour cake. It’s perfect served as a nutritious breakfast, snack, or dessert and also happens to be dairy free.
Paleo Sweet Potato Bread
- Blender or food processor
- 1 3/4 cups cooked sweet potato cooled and skins removed
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Add the sweet potato, raw honey, eggs, extra virgin olive oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, and salt to a blender or food processor and process/blend until mixed.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the coconut flour and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into a parchment lined medium sized loaf pan (mine is 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches) and bake for 55 minutes (or until cake tests done with a toothpick) at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Makes 10 slices of paleo sweet potato bread.
- This recipe calls for cooked sweet potato. Simply steam, boil, or bake sweet potatoes until tender before adding to the recipe.
Paleo Sweet Potato Bread – Nutritional Information:
For more information about paleo baking, check out this article from elanaspantry.com. It explains the differences between almond flour and coconut flour, two flours that work well in paleo baked goods.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.