This oat flour cake is a delicious treat for dessert, breakfast or snack time. This one turned out moist, sweet, and rich tasting and you can enjoy every bite knowing that it’s nutrient dense and made from simple ingredients such as dates, oat flour, and olive oil.
Oat Flour Cake – Tips & Substitutions
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love baking with oatmeal flour, and think it’s a nutritious option for gluten free baked goods. Be sure to purchase oats or oat flour that is labelled gluten free if that is a requirement for you. You could easily swap the oat flour for a different gluten free flour of your choosing, but I love the warm, earthy flavour of oats. If you don’t like oats or are sensitive to them and need to avoid them for that reason, you can substitute whichever gluten free flour you prefer (except coconut flour which absorbs liquid quite differently than most other flours).
You can also make your own gluten free oat flour at home. It’s quick and easy to do.
To make oat flour at home, simply fill a food processor or high powered blender with gluten free oats, then process or blend for about two minutes until it has a powdery, flour-like texture. Then you can store your homemade oat flour in the pantry, fridge, or freezer, depending on how quickly you anticipate using it.
This oatmeal flour cake is perfect as a dessert when you’re craving something sweet, but I think it’s nutritious enough to eat for breakfast or as a snack since it doesn’t contain any refined sugar or white flour.
This oat flour cake freezes well, so go ahead and slice it up and stash some in the freezer then thaw it out as needed for an on-the-go snack or breakfast. Or pack a slice in the kids’ lunch bags for a nutritious treat.
More Oat Flour Recipes
These oat flour pancakes are easy to make, filling, and so delicious. They’re a great gluten free option for breakfast or brunch on the weekends.
Or try these vegan banana chocolate chip muffins. They’re freezer-friendly and perfect for a make-ahead breakfast or snack.
Oat Flour Cake
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or substitute for any oil you prefer
- 1 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups oat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine date paste, olive oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine oat flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
- Pour into a well greased bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Makes about 12 slices of oat flour cake.
- You can make gluten free oat flour easily in a food processor or blender. Just add rolled oats and process for 2-3 minutes.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.