If you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious sauce to add flavor to your meals, this lemon and herb sauce is a must try. This flavorful sauce is paleo diet friendly, low carb, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free.
This sauce is delicious on fish and other seafood, chicken, beef, lamb, or tofu. You can also drizzle this sauce on roasted vegetables, potatoes, or rice. This sauce is perfect for dressing up simple dishes when you’re entertaining guests for dinner or lunch.
It can be difficult to find refined sugar-free sauces to enjoy if you’re trying to stick to certain diets such as paleo, keto, or a clean eating diet. Most store bought condiments aren’t going to work on those diet, but this lemon and herb sauce fits the bill. I like to whip up a big batch of this lemon and herb sauce and store it in the fridge for a few days.
Main ingredients in this lemon and herb sauce
This sauce combines fresh parsley, mint, lemon, garlic, capers, and extra virgin olive oil. The herbs add freshness to this sauce, the lemon adds tang, and the capers add a briny saltiness that cuts through the richness of the extra virgin olive oil.
I don’t bother adding any extra salt to this lemon and herb sauce because the capers are quite salty. If you choose to omit the capers, you’ll probably want to season the sauce with some salt to taste.
You can also substitute olives or sun dried tomatoes instead of the capers if you prefer. Green olives are a particularly good alternative because they won’t detract from the vibrant green color of this sauce.
You can substitute other fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro if you prefer, but I think the combination of parsley and mint works best in this sauce.
If you don’t have any fresh lemons, you can use any other low sugar fresh citrus juice you prefer. Limes or grapefruits are great alternatives.
I used extra virgin olive oil in this sauce but you can substitute any other relatively neutral oil. Avocado oil is a great alternative.
Store this lemon and herb sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
More paleo recipes
- This gluten-free sweet potato bread is sweet, tender, and spiced just right.
- These paleo pancakes are easy to make and delicious.
- This paleo carrot cake is perfect when you’re craving a nutritious treat.
- This paleo ketchup recipe is sweet, tangy, and flavorful.
Lemon And Herb Sauce
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the parsley, mint, lemon, olive oil, capers, garlic, and pepper to a food processor or blender.
- Process/blend until smooth.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- This lemon and herb sauce is delicious on fish and other seafood, chicken, beef, lamb, tofu, rice, potatoes, or vegetables.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.