If you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious sauce to add flavor to your meals, this lemon herb sauce is a must try. It’s easy to make, loaded with flavor, and perfect for entertaining.
What to serve with this lemon herb sauce
This sauce is delicious drizzled on grilled or roasted vegetables like these roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar. It would also be tasty with rice or these garlicky roasted potatoes. This sauce is perfect for dressing up simple dishes when you’re entertaining guests for dinner or lunch.
Main ingredients and substitutions
This sauce combines fresh parsley, mint, lemon, garlic, capers, and extra virgin olive oil. The herbs add freshness to this sauce, the lemon adds tang, and the capers add a briny saltiness that cuts through the richness of the extra virgin olive oil.
I don’t add any extra salt to this lemon herb sauce because the capers are quite salty. If you choose to omit the capers then I recommend seasoning the sauce with salt to taste.
You can substitute olives or sun dried tomatoes instead of the capers if you prefer. Green olives are a particularly good alternative because they won’t detract from the vibrant green color of this sauce.
You can substitute other fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro if you prefer, but I think the combination of parsley and mint works best in this sauce.
If you don’t have a fresh lemon then you can substitute fresh lime. I don’t recommend substituting bottled lemon juice in this sauce.
I used extra virgin olive oil in this sauce but you can substitute any other relatively neutral oil. Avocado oil is a good alternative.
How to make it
This sauce is so simple to prepare. Start by adding the parsley, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, capers, garlic, and black pepper to a food processor or blender.
Blend until smooth and that’s all there is to it. This should only take a minute or two.
Store this lemon herb sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
More sauce recipes to try
- This puttanesca sauce without anchovies is flavorful and delicious.
- This cashew pasta sauce is rich and creamy.
- This pink beet pasta sauce is perfect when you’re in the mood for something a little different.
Lemon Herb Sauce
- Blender or food processor
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the parsley, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, capers, garlic, and pepper to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- This lemon herb sauce is delicious drizzled on grilled or roasted vegetable, rice, or potatoes.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
You might also like
- This parsley pesto is made with walnuts instead of the traditional pine nuts.
- This maple vinaigrette salad dressing is quick and easy to make.
- This refined sugar-free, date paste recipe is perfect for sweetening nutritious treats.
- These vegan, gluten-free chocolate buckwheat cookies are crispy and delicious.