These gluten free savory muffins are flavoured with rosemary, garlic and Parmesan cheese. They’re an easy and tasty grain free option for breakfast or snack time.
These muffins contain plenty of cauliflower so they’re a great way to sneak in some hidden vegetables, which is particularly useful if you’ve got picky kids.
Main Ingredients In Gluten Free Savory Muffins
These muffins call for cassava flour and if you haven’t tried baking with cassava flour yet, I highly recommend it. It’s a flour made from ground cassava root and it works particularly well in grain free baked goods.
You can find cassava flour at many grocery stores and health food stores these days or you can order it online. Alternatively, you can substitute oat flour in this recipe if you prefer.
I used riced cauliflower in these muffins (which I purchased ready to go from the supermarket) but you can easily make cauliflower rice at home in a food processor. Just toss in some raw cauliflower and pulse it a few times until a finely chopped consistency is achieved.
Other vegetables besides cauliflower work well in this recipe too, so feel free to substitute finely chopped broccoli, asparagus, or bell peppers. Grated carrots or zucchini work nicely too.
You can also play around with the herbs in these gluten free savory muffins. I opted for rosemary but you can substitute thyme, oregano, basil, or parsley. Either dried or fresh herbs will do, so use whatever you have on hand.
More Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
For another tasty muffin recipe, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They’re easy to make and taste like a cozy bowl of oatmeal.
Or if you’re craving chocolate, try these paleo chocolate muffins. They taste like such a treat but they’re nutritious enough to pack in the kids’ lunch boxes or serve for breakfast.
If you’re in the mood for fall flavours, try these paleo pumpkin muffins. They’re full of warm spices and will definitely satisfy a pumpkin spice craving.
Gluten Free Savory Muffins
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, rosemary, garlic powder, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the riced cauliflower and Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cassava flour and baking soda and mix again until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Makes 12 savory muffins.
- You can substitute finely chopped broccoli, asparagus, or bell peppers instead of cauliflower in this recipe.
- Store these muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze for longer term storage.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.