This creamy, vegan tahini pasta is pure comfort food. It’s rich, filling, and so easy to throw together quickly for a satisfying plant based dinner or lunch.
Tahini Pasta – Key Ingredients
The tahini sauce calls for just a few simple ingredients – tahini being the star of this recipe. Tahini is a rich, creamy paste made from ground sesames. It has a slightly bitter flavour that pairs well with fresh lemon.
The zingy freshness of both the lemon juice and zest cuts through the rich, creaminess of the tahini to form a well balanced, oil-free sauce for the pasta. A little fresh garlic, salt, and pepper rounds out the flavours.
You can use whatever variety of gluten free pasta you prefer in this recipe. I enjoy brown rice pasta, corn pasta, chickpea pasta, quinoa pasta, and lentil pasta. Any shape will do.
If you want to add some sautéed veggies to this dish to turn it into a more complete meal – go for it. Some sautéed mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, or bell peppers would be nice additions to this pasta dish.
Or roast some vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower and toss them in with the pasta before serving. Roasted red peppers would be delicious in this dish too.
This tahini pasta couldn’t be simpler to throw together. While the pasta is cooking, simply stir together the ingredients for the tahini sauce.
Once the pasta is almost finished cooking, reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water from the pasta before draining. It’s important to wait until just before draining, so the water has a chance to get a bit starchy during the cooking process. The addition of some cooking water, whisked into the sauce, gives it a creamy, velvety consistency.
If you notice that your tahini is a bit dry (this sometimes happens when you’re nearing the end of the jar if you haven’t stirred it thoroughly before each use) feel free to add a bit more than 1/2 cup of pasta water in order to achieve your desired consistency.
I like to finish this dish off by garnishing with some chopped fresh basil or parsley – whatever I have on hand. The herbs add lightness and freshness to this rich, creamy vegan pasta. If you don’t have any fresh herbs you can omit the garnish or use some extra lemon zest, black pepper, dried chilli flakes, or a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes:
For another plant based pasta dish, try this flavourful vegan puttanesca. It’s full of bold, bright flavours and is easy to make from simple pantry ingredients.
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup cooking water from the pasta
- The juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pounds gluten free pasta (approximately 340 grams)
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Begin cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix well.
- When the pasta is almost done cooking, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking water, add it to the bowl with the tahini mixture, then whisk well.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, pour the tahini sauce over the pasta and mix to coat the pasta evenly with sauce.
- Garnish with some chopped fresh basil or parsley (optional), then serve hot.
- Makes 5 servings of tahini pasta.
- When the pasta is almost finished cooking, remember to reserve some cooking water before draining the pasta.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.