This gluten-free vegan apple crumble is a cozy dessert recipe that’s perfect for fall. It’s delicious on its own but even better topped with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
This recipe would be perfect as a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert but works equally well year round. If you’re making it for the holidays and need to feed a crowd, go ahead and double the recipe and use a larger pan.
To keep this dairy-free apple crumble vegan, I opted to use coconut oil as the fat in the crumble topping. I added some pecans and lemon zest as well to round out the flavours.
I used coconut flour instead of oats in this vegan apple crumble recipe so it’s ideal if you’re avoiding grains. You could substitute gluten-free oat flour or even cassava flour instead of the coconut flour if you prefer, and the results should be equally delicious.
This gluten-free vegan apple crumble is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. If you want to kick up the spice factor even more you could add a pinch of ground ginger or cloves, but I love it as is.
I think the perfect apple for this recipe is golden delicious, but if you prefer a more tart apple dessert, granny smith would work well. Any apple will do, just expect some variation in texture and sweetness depending on which variety you choose.
More gluten-free vegan recipes
- For another plant-based apple recipe, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They’re perfect as a make-ahead breakfast or nutritious snack.
- These banana chocolate popsicles are a delicious way to use up ripe bananas.
- These stovetop candied pecans have the perfect balance of sweet and savoury flavours.
Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Crumble (Made with Coconut Flour)
For the apple layer:
- 4 cups peeled and chopped raw apples
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the apples, 1 teaspoon coconut flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a food processor (or high powered blender) add 1/3 cup coconut flour, pecans, coconut oil, coconut sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Process with several quick on/off pulses to combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon the apple mixture into an eight inch baking dish and then spread the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings of vegan apple crumble.
- You can substitute your preferred oil for the coconut oil.
- Any type of apple will do, but my personal favourite is golden delicious.