This gluten free vegan apple crumble is a cozy dessert recipe that’s perfect for fall. It’s delicious on its own but even better topped with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
This recipe would be perfect as a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert but works equally well year round. If you’re making it for the holidays and need to feed a crowd, go ahead and double the recipe and use a larger pan.
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble – Main Ingredients
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To keep this dairy free apple crumble plant-based, I opted to use coconut oil as the fat in the crumble topping. I added some pecans and lemon zest as well to round out the flavours.
I used coconut flour instead of oats in this vegan apple crumble recipe so it’s ideal if you’re avoiding grains. You could substitute gluten free oat flour or even cassava flour instead of the coconut flour if you prefer, and the results should be equally delicious.
This gluten free vegan apple crumble is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. If you want to kick up the spice factor even more you could add a pinch of ground ginger or cloves, but I love it as is.
I think the perfect apple for this recipe is golden delicious, but if you prefer a more tart apple dessert, granny smith would work well. Any apple will do, just expect some variation in texture and sweetness depending on which variety you choose.
More Gluten Free Fruit Desserts
For another plant based apple recipe, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They’re perfect as a make-ahead breakfast or nutritious snack.
Or try this berry crisp. It’s bursting with flavour from plenty of fresh berries and is so easy to make.
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble
For the apple layer:
- 4 cups peeled and chopped raw apples
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the apples, 1 teaspoon coconut flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a food processor (or high powered blender) add 1/3 cup coconut flour, pecans, coconut oil, coconut sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Process with several quick on/off pulses to combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon the apple mixture into an eight inch baking dish and then spread the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings of vegan apple crumble.
- You can substitute your preferred oil for the coconut oil.
- Any type of apple will do, but my personal favourite is golden delicious.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.