This gluten-free, vegan apple crumble with coconut flour is a cozy dessert recipe that’s perfect for fall. This vegan crumble is delicious on its own but even better topped with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
This recipe would be perfect as a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert but works equally well year round. If you’re making it for the holidays and need to feed a crowd, go ahead and double the recipe and use a larger pan.
What to serve with this vegan apple crumble
If you’re adding this dish to a dessert table and would like to include another easy vegan treat, try these yummy chocolate buckwheat cookies. They’re quick and easy to make.
Main ingredients and substitutions
To keep this apple crumble vegan, I opted to use coconut oil as the fat in the crumble topping. I added some pecans and lemon zest as well to round out the flavors.
I used coconut flour instead of oats in this vegan apple crumble recipe so it’s ideal if you’re avoiding grains. You could substitute gluten-free oat flour or even cassava flour instead of the coconut flour if you prefer, and the results should be equally delicious.
This gluten-free vegan apple crumble is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. If you want to kick up the spice factor even more you could add a pinch of ground ginger or cloves, but I love it as is.
I think the perfect apple for this coconut flour vegan crumble recipe is golden delicious, but if you prefer a more tart apple dessert, granny smith would work well. Any apple will do, just expect some variation in texture and sweetness depending on which variety you choose.
Store this apple coconut flour crumble in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
More gluten-free vegan recipes
- For another plant-based apple recipe, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They’re perfect as a make-ahead breakfast or nutritious snack.
- These banana chocolate popsicles are a delicious way to use up ripe bananas.
- These paleo diet friendly banana cookies are sweet, soft, and chewy.
Vegan Apple Crumble with Coconut Flour
- Blender or food processor
- 8 inch baking dish
For the apple layer:
- 4 cups peeled and chopped raw apples
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the apples, 1 teaspoon coconut flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a food processor (or high powered blender) add 1/3 cup coconut flour, pecans, coconut oil, coconut sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Process with several quick on/off pulses to combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon the apple mixture into an eight inch baking dish and then spread the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- You can substitute your preferred oil for the coconut oil in this vegan crumble.
- Any type of apple will do, but my personal favorite is golden delicious.
- Store this vegan apple crumble with coconut flour in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
You might also like
- This sweet and savory balsamic kale salad is an easy, elegant first course.
- These gluten-free vegan oat flour muffins are filling and delicious.
- This vegan, paleo coconut milk butternut squash soup is perfect for fall.
- This strawberry flavored dairy-free mousse is rich, creamy, and delicious.