Vegan cream of asparagus soup is a great recipe to make now that it’s finally spring and the weather is starting to warm up a bit. This soup is gluten free, low carb and keto diet friendly. The light green colour of this soup just makes me think of spring, and I made this soup to celebrate the end of a very long winter!
There are a couple of secret ingredients in this soup that give it a creamy taste and consistency, while sticking to plant based vegan ingredients. The first of these ingredients is turnip, believe it or not. A couple of turnips mixed in with the asparagus give this soup a thick, velvety consistency while keeping it low carb. The turnip also adds a subtle sweet flavour to the soup which compliments the asparagus nicely.
The other secret ingredient in this soup is nutritional yeast. It adds a depth of flavour that tastes similar to cheese and gives this soup a big flavour boost.
I opted to use water as the base for this vegan soup, because I felt the flavours of the asparagus, turnip, onion and nutritional yeast were strong enough and the soup turned out quite delicious without having to use a broth base. But feel free to substitute vegetable broth or even coconut milk instead of water for an even more flavourful asparagus soup. Just be sure to cut back on the salt if you opt to use a vegetable broth which contains sodium.
Vegan Cream Of Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and chopped turnip
- 5 cups chopped fresh asparagus
- 6 cups water (or substitute vegetable broth or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and onions to a large pot and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Add the turnip, asparagus, and water and cook on low-medium heat, covered, until the vegetables are tender (approximately 25 minutes).
- At this point you can remove a few asparagus tips from the pot and reserve them to use as a garnish if you wish.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup to a smooth consistency (or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth).
- Serve hot.
- Makes about 8 servings of vegan cream of asparagus soup.