This vegan cream of asparagus soup is perfect during asparagus season – or whenever you can get your hands on some fresh asparagus. It’s easy to make, nutritious, and flavourful. This soup also happens to be gluten free and paleo diet friendly.
Main Ingredients In Vegan Cream Of Asparagus Soup
There are a couple of key ingredients in this dairy free asparagus soup that give it a creamy taste and consistency. The first of these ingredients is turnip, believe it or not. A couple of turnips mixed in with the asparagus give this soup a thick, velvety consistency. The turnip also adds a subtle sweet flavour to the soup which complements the asparagus nicely.
Another key ingredient in this vegan asparagus soup is nutritional yeast, which adds a depth of flavour that tastes similar to cheese and gives this soup a big flavour boost. Nutritional yeast is commonly used in vegan cooking to achieve a “cheesy” flavour without using dairy products.
I opted to use water as the base for this vegan cream of asparagus soup, because I felt the flavours of the asparagus, turnip, onion and nutritional yeast were strong enough and the soup turned out quite delicious without having to use a broth base.
For an even more flavourful soup, feel free to substitute vegetable broth instead of water. And for an even creamier soup, you can use coconut milk or any other type of plant based milk instead of water. Just be sure to cut back on the salt if you opt to use a vegetable broth which contains sodium.
This vegan cream of asparagus soup is quite easy to make. Start by sautéing the onions in some olive oil (or substitute your preferred oil). Once the onions are cooked, add the turnip, asparagus, and water, then cook, covered, for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Once the veggies are cooked, feel free to remove a few asparagus tips to use as a garnish. Then you’ll add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and blend everything together.
My preferred method of blending soups is with an immersion blender. I love how easy it is to just blend everything directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can transfer the soup, in batches, to a regular blender instead.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
For another yummy vegan soup recipe, try this paleo butternut squash soup. It’s silky and rich tasting and perfect when you’re craving comfort food.
Or try this vegan cream of cauliflower soup. It’s hearty, filling, and so delicious.
Vegan Cream Of Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and chopped turnip
- 5 cups chopped fresh asparagus
- 6 cups water (or substitute vegetable broth or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and onions to a large pot and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Add the turnip, asparagus, and water and cook on low-medium heat, covered, until the vegetables are tender (approximately 25 minutes).
- At this point you can remove a few asparagus tips from the pot and reserve them to use as a garnish if you wish.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup to a smooth consistency (or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth).
- Serve hot.
- Makes about 8 servings of vegan cream of asparagus soup.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.