This dairy free cream of mushroom soup is rich, creamy, and pure comfort food. Whether you’re strictly vegan, prefer to avoid dairy, or are just trying to incorporate more plant based meals in your diet, you should absolutely get to enjoy a rich, creamy bowl of soup.
Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup – Key Ingredients
This dairy free mushroom soup tastes like it’s full of cream and butter, but the creaminess actually comes from cashews that have been soaked and then blended. The cashews provide all the creaminess one could want, and act as the perfect dairy substitute in this plant based mushroom soup recipe.
Mushrooms and thyme are a classic flavour combination, so thyme is my herb of choice in this dairy free mushroom soup recipe. Other than that it’s just onions, garlic and a little salt and pepper.
The secret flavour booster in this soup is the step of sautéing the mushrooms and onions until they’re caramelized. That golden caramelization adds a lovely depth of flavour to the soup, so I wouldn’t skip that step. This is such a delicious and easy vegan soup recipe that even dairy lovers will approve of once they’ve had a taste.
For another rich and delicious dairy free soup, try this vegan cream of cauliflower soup. It’s pure comfort food and makes for a filling and tasty meal, either year round or during the colder months.
Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 4 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 cup of soaked cashews soak for 1 hour in 1 cup of boiling water, then drain and rinse
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- In a large pot or frying pan, sauté the mushroom, onions, garlic and thyme until everything is golden and caramelized.
- Once they’re ready you can reserve a few mushroom for garnish if you like.
- In a food processor (or blender), add the soaked cashews and 1 cup of water and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms/onions to the food processor and process for a couple more minutes until a purée texture is achieved.
- Add the purée to the pot along with the remaining 2 cups of water, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and simmer on low heat until the soup is heated through.
- Serve hot.
- Makes approximately 5 cups of dairy free mushroom soup.
Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup – Nutritional Information
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.