This vegan cream of cauliflower soup is perfect when you’re craving a rich, creamy, and velvety plant-based soup, especially now that the evenings are getting a bit chillier. And it’s that time of year when a warm bowl of soup is starting to sound more appealing.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup – Main Ingredients And Substitutions
This dairy free cauliflower soup is very quick and simple to make, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights. I used almond milk as the creamy base for this soup, but you can easily substitute coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk or any other plant-based milk you prefer. Or if you prefer a cauliflower potato soup that isn’t creamy at all, you could just use a vegan vegetable broth instead.
This soup contains potato in addition to cauliflower, so it will keep you fuller for longer because of the carbs from the potatoes. If you’d prefer a lower carb soup, you can substitute turnips instead of the potatoes and cut back on the carbohydrates considerably that way.
I love garnishing this vegan cream of cauliflower soup with some fresh chopped parsley but you can substitute any fresh herb you prefer. Basil, tarragon, or chives would be delicious. Whatever fresh herbs you happen to have on hand and enjoy will do the trick, I just love that hint of freshness that the fresh herbs bring to this rich and creamy soup.
For another rich and creamy vegan soup, try this dairy free mushroom soup. It’s made from cashews that have been blended and soaked to give the soup a velvety consistency.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 2 cups peeled and chopped raw white potatoes
- 1 cup chopped raw onions
- 5 cups gluten free almond milk (or substitute your preferred gluten free plant based milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions to a pot on the stove and sauté on low heat for one minute.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, almond milk, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cook uncovered on low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the nutritional yeast.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup right in the pot, or alternatively you can transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Makes approximately 6 cups of vegan cream of cauliflower soup.
- You can substitute your favourite plant based milk in this recipe.
- You can replace the potato with turnips for a lower carb version of this soup.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup Nutritional Information:
For some more delicious vegan recipes, check out this collection from elanaspantry.com. It includes plenty of nutritious plant based recipes that also happen to be gluten free.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.