This paleo butternut squash soup is full of flavour and has a rich and creamy consistency. It’s spiced with fresh ginger and garlic, which compliment the sweetness of the butternut squash.
In addition to being paleo diet friendly, gluten free, dairy free, and vegan, this soup is also oil free and refined sugar free. It’s ideal for a clean eating diet, and it’s perfect for entertaining guests with various dietary restrictions.
This soup is simple and easy to make, so it works on busy weeknights even if you’re short on time. There’s no sautéing involved for this soup – simply chop up the veggies and plunk them in a pot. Add the liquids and seasonings and simmer until cooked, then blend it all up.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Despite how easy this paleo butternut squash soup is to prepare, the flavours are deep and satisfying. The sweetness of the squash pairs well with the savoury flavours of onion and garlic. The ginger and coconut milk add complexity and a silky smooth consistency.
Feel free to make some substitutions in this recipe to suit your palate. If you’re not a fan of ginger, you can omit that and throw in some fresh sage leaves instead. And if coconut milk isn’t your thing, go ahead and substitute whatever plant based milk you prefer.
You could even substitute sweet potatoes or carrots instead of butternut squash if need be (or if you don’t have time to peel and chop a butternut squash). A bag of baby carrots instead of the squash would cut the prep time down to practically nothing.
This soup serves six people but you can double the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd. This would be great served as a first course for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
This paleo butternut squash soup is perfect for meal prepping. Make a double batch on the weekend and reheat the leftovers all week or pack some in a thermos for school or work lunches.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes
For another nutritious plant based soup recipe, try this vegan cream of asparagus soup. It’s rich and delicious yet quick and easy to prepare.
Or try this tasty vegan cream of cauliflower soup. It’s velvety smooth and perfect when you’re craving a hearty, filling soup.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cups peeled and chopped raw butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Optional: garnish with fresh chives basil, or parsley
- Add the butternut squash, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, water, salt, and pepper to a large pot on the stove.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low-medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup to a smooth consistency (or transfer to a regular blender).
- Makes 6 servings of paleo butternut squash soup.
- You can substitute whatever plant based milk you prefer.
- This soup works well with carrots or sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash too, so feel free to substitute or do a combination.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.