This dairy free frittata is a simple, nutritious, and tasty breakfast or brunch idea. This dish is low carb, paleo diet friendly, and perfect for entertaining or meal prepping.
Make a double batch of this frittata and store in an airtight container in the fridge, then reheat for a quick meal. This frittata is delicious served either hot or at room temperature, so pack a slice for school/work lunches or picnics.
Dairy Free Frittata – Main Ingredients
This frittata recipe calls for eggs, baby spinach, cremini mushrooms, scallions, parsley, and sliced tomatoes, but you can substitute whatever veggies you have on hand or whatever is seasonal. Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and sweet peppers are all good alternatives.
Plenty of fresh herbs add flavour to this frittata. I opted for parsley and scallions, but you can substitute fresh basil, chives, tarragon, or even a few finely chopped sage leaves. Be sure to use fresh herbs as opposed to dried herbs if possible to keep the flavors fresh and light.
If you’re feeling fancy, add some caramelized onions and sun dried tomatoes to this frittata along with the other veggies.
If you love the flavour of cheese, you can add a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast to the eggs before whisking. Nutritional yeast is commonly used in vegan cooking to give dairy free dishes a “cheesy” flavour. Nutritional yeast is a nice optional addition to this dairy free frittata if you’re craving the flavour of cheese.
More Gluten Free Brunch Recipes
For another delicious gluten free and dairy free breakfast or brunch idea, try these vegan applesauce muffins. They taste like a bowl of oatmeal in muffin form.
Or try this tasty gluten free dairy free banana bread. It’s refined sugar free and easy to make.
These banana pancakes are perfect for brunch. They’re paleo, dairy free, thick, and fluffy.
Dairy Free Frittata
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (or substitute any other type of mushroom)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté spinach and mushrooms in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper in an oven proof pan until they release their water and all the water evaporates, approximately 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs together with chopped scallions, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Add the egg/herb mixture to the pan and arrange the tomatoes on top.
- Let the frittata set up and solidify a bit on the stove for about 5 minutes, then put the pan in the oven to broil for a few more minutes until the top sets.
- Watch carefully while broiling to ensure the frittata doesn’t burn.
- Makes about 6 servings of dairy free frittata.
- Optional additions: add caramelized onions and/or sun dried tomatoes if desired.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-dense ingredients.