These vegan pumpkin brownies taste just as you’d imagine: like a cross between pumpkin pie and chocolate brownies. This treat is perfect if you’re craving fall flavors.
These brownies would make a great addition to a vegan Thanksgiving or Halloween party sweet table. They’re equal parts chocolaty and pumpkin spicy and they also happen to be grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
These plant-based, gluten-free pumpkin brownies are made with extra virgin olive oil, but you can certainly substitute your preferred oil such as melted coconut oil or avocado oil. Really any relatively neutral oil should work in this recipe.
Coconut flour is my go-to grain-free flour and it works well in these vegan pumpkin brownies. If you don’t have any coconut flour handy you could try substituting whatever gluten-free flour you prefer, just add an extra 1/4 cup of flour, since coconut flour is more absorbent than most other flours.
This recipe calls for flax eggs. If you’ve never baked with flax eggs before, you’re in for a treat with this recipe. Flax eggs work well in vegan baked goods and improve the texture and consistency of plant-based desserts without having to use eggs.
Flax eggs are so easy to make: simply combine flax seeds and water, let chill for ten minutes, and they’ll thicken into a gelatinous, gloopy substance that works beautifully as a binder in vegan baked goods.
These vegan pumpkin brownies have just the right amount of sweetness, in my opinion, but they definitely aren’t overly sweet because I wanted to keep them pretty low sugar and let the flavors of the cocoa and pumpkin spice shine through.
You can use store bought pumpkin spice if you like, but I prefer to make my own blend of pumpkin spice by combining cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves in this recipe. If you’d rather use pre-mixed pumpkin spice then you can omit the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and substitute 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice.
More pumpkin recipes to try
- This pumpkin bread made with coconut flour is moist, sweet, and spiced just right.
- This pumpkin spice dessert hummus is perfect for fall.
- These pumpkin muffins are paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Vegan Pumpkin Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée unsweetened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 flax eggs mix 6 tablespoons of cold water with 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and let chill in the fridge for 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Add the pumpkin purée, maple syrup, olive oil, flax eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and cocoa powder to a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix again.
- Spoon the batter into an 8 inch square parchment paper lined baking dish and use a spatula to smooth it down into an even layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Makes 12 vegan pumpkin brownies.
- You can substitute ready mixed pumpkin spice instead of the spices I’ve specified in the recipe.