This kale pasta sauce is loaded with nutrients and flavor. It has such a pretty, vibrant green color. Toss this delicious, vegan sauce with your favorite pasta and enjoy.
What to serve with this kale pasta sauce
If you’re looking for tasty side dish to go with pasta in a kale sauce, give these balsamic baked asparagus a try. They’re easy to make and flavorful. And for a yummy main course, try this vegan roasted chicken. It’s juicy, meaty, and loaded with protein.
Ingredients and substitutions
You can use either fresh or frozen chopped kale in this pasta sauce. I like to use frozen chopped kale to save time. It’s delicious and nutrient dense either way.
Fresh garlic adds a big boost of flavor to this kale pasta sauce. You can substitute one teaspoon of jarred chopped garlic if you prefer.
Lemon zest and juice add a delicious, fresh flavor to the sauce. I don’t recommend using bottled lemon juice in this dish.
I like to use extra virgin olive in this sauce. You can subscribe avocado oil instead if you prefer.
How to make it
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add the chopped kale and cold water to a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
Add the cooked kale, garlic clove, extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender.
Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender or food processor as necessary.
Toss with cooked pasta (this recipe makes enough for about five servings of pasta) then serve.
Blend 1/4 cup of walnuts, pine nuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds into the sauce, if desired. Avocado is a nice addition too if you’d like to add some creaminess to the sauce. Just scoop out the flesh of a ripe avocado and blend it up with the other ingredients.
Storage and freezing
Store this kale pasta sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze it for up to six months.
More pasta sauce recipes to try
Kale Pasta Sauce
- Food processor or blender.
- 4 cups raw chopped kale (either fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 garlic clove
- The zest of 1 lemon
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the chopped kale and cold water to a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Add the cooked kale, extra virgin olive oil, garlic clove, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the food processor or blender as necessary.
- Toss with cooked pasta, then serve.
- Optional additions include 1/4 cup of walnuts, pine nuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or the flesh of one avocado (blend them along with the other ingredients).
- Store this kale pasta sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze it for up to six months.