Paleo carrot cake is one of my favourite desserts these days. I love carrot cake so naturally I wanted to create a healthy version of this treat. My paleo carrot cake is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and so delicious.
You’d never know this carrot cake was made without grains or refined sugar from the taste and texture. It’s sweet and lightly spiced with plenty of delicious carrot flavour and a satisfying cakey texture.
I used coconut flour in this recipe to keep it grain free, but it really doesn’t taste coconutty. The carrots, spices, and honey are the dominant flavours in this recipe. Coconut flour is a particularly nutritious alternative to conventional flours as it’s higher in both fiber and protein. It’s perfect for gluten free baking as it adds a subtle sweetness that works really well in desserts.
This carrot cake is so easy to make since it doesn’t call for grated carrots like most carrot cake recipes do. I prefer to skip the cumbersome task of grating carrots and instead I bake them in the oven until they’re cooked (but not mushy – it’s better if they have a somewhat firm texture). I find this method results in a softer and more satisfying texture than grated carrots do.
Paleo Carrot Cake
- 2 cups cooked chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut flour
- Optional: 1/2 cup each of raisins and/or walnuts
- Add the honey, cooked carrots, eggs, olive oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, to a blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth and well mixed.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl and add the coconut flour and baking soda.
- Mix well and be sure to incorporate any lumps from the coconut flour.
- Stir in the raisins and/or walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into a parchment lined 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes.
- Makes about 10 slices of paleo carrot cake.
Paleo Carrot Cake Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.