This vegan sweet potato casserole is the perfect side dish when you’re craving something warm, cozy and substantial. You can (and should!) serve this dish year round, but I think it would work particularly well as a vegan side dish at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
The star of this casserole is the crispy crumbly topping made from fresh sage leaves, chives, garlic, pecans, and oat flour (or feel free to substitute whatever flour you prefer).
I think sage is the perfect herb to compliment sweet potatoes and it gives this dish a woodsy autumnal flavour that is comforting and so delicious. Better not to substitute the fresh sage as it really is a key flavour in this recipe. Dried sage just doesn’t offer the same flavour so I urge you to go for the fresh stuff!
If you’re serving this sweet potato casserole to a large crowd, perhaps at Thanksgiving or Christmas, go ahead and double or triple the recipe if necessary and just use a larger baking dish (or multiple dishes). Make lots as I’m guessing both your vegan and non vegan guests will enjoy this side dish!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups cooked and peeled mashed sweet potatoes (bake 5-6 medium sized sweet potatoes in the oven or boil them in a pot of water until tender.
- Then peel and mash with a potato masher)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (or substitute cassava flour or any gluten free flour of your choosing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Spoon the mashed sweet potatoes into an 8 inch baking dish and spread them in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, add the pecans, oat flour (or any other gluten free flour you prefer), garlic, salt, pepper, sage, chives and olive oil.
- Mix well and then spread that mixture over the mashed sweet potatoes in an even layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings of vegan sweet potato casserole.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.