This chickpea flour omelette is a vegan version of the classic egg dish. It’s easy to make, filling, and perfect when you’re craving a savory, egg-free breakfast. You can skip the fillings and serve this chickpea omelette plain or stuff it to the brim with veggies and vegan cheese. It’s delicious either way.
What to serve with this chickpea flour omelette
If you want something sweet to serve with this dish, try these vegan chocolate buckwheat muffins. They’re easy to make and delicious.
Main ingredients and substitutions
This omelette is made with chickpea flour (also known as garbanzo bean flour) combined with water. I never would have guessed that chickpea flour could taste so much like eggs, but it actually does when prepared this way.
To up the egg-like flavor of this chickpea flour omelette even more, add a pinch of black salt to the chickpea flour and water mixture. Black salt contains traces of sulphur compounds which give it a distinctive egg-like flavor that works beautifully in this recipe. You can order black salt online (or skip it and just use whatever kind of salt you have).
How to make it
This vegan omelette is quick and easy to make. This recipe makes one omelette but you can easily scale it up to make as many as you need.
Start by preheating a large nonstick frying pan on the stove set to medium heat. My pan is 11 inches which works well, but it’s okay if your pan is slightly smaller or larger. Add the olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat up while you prepare the other ingredients.
Next you’ll add the chickpea flour, cold water, and black salt to a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix well.
Pour that mixture into the hot pan and lift and swirl the pan to spread the batter evenly in the pan.
Cook the chickpea omelette for 2-3 minutes or until it looks somewhat solid, then sprinkle on whatever optional fillings you like. I find it’s easier to fold the omelette if you only put veggies on one side so that you can easily fold over the side without veggies. If you’re using vegan cheese, however, you can sprinkle that over the entire surface of the omelette so that it acts like a glue and holds everything together nicely.
Continue to cook for another minute or two or until it looks completely solid and slightly golden and crispy around the edges. Remove from heat, use a spatula to fold the omelette in half and then slide it onto a plate to serve. Garnish this vegan omelette with fresh chopped chives (optional) and enjoy it while it’s hot.
Optional filling ideas
This chickpea omelette is delicious served simply, with a dash of hot sauce or a crack of freshly ground black pepper, but it’s even better stuffed with these caramelized mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of vegan shredded cheese. You can even make your own vegan cheese if you prefer to avoid the store bought varieties which are often highly processed.
Other filling ideas for this chickpea flour omelette include sautéed spinach, diced bell peppers, and/or onions. Or if you have leftover veggies to use up (such as cooked broccoli or asparagus) just chop them up and throw them in.
Storage and meal prep
This vegan chickpea flour omelette recipe is perfect for meal prepping. You can make as many omelettes as you want and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Before serving, reheat the omelettes in the microwave, in a pan on the stove, or in the oven.
More chickpea flour recipes to try
- These chocolate chickpea flour brownies are perfect when you’re craving a nutritious treat.
- This chickpea flour cake is chocolaty and sweet. You’d never guess it’s made with chickpea flour.
- These blueberry chickpea flour muffins are easy to make, filling, and so delicious. They’re gluten free, vegan, and grain free.
- This chickpea flour banana bread is quick and easy to prepare. It’s perfect for using up ripe bananas.
Chickpea Flour Omelette
- Nonstick frying pan
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Pinch of black salt (or substitute regular salt)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or substitute vegan butter)
- Optional filling ideas: vegan shredded cheese, diced bell peppers, chopped onions, spinach, and/or sautéed mushrooms
- Optional garnish: fresh chopped chives
- Place a large nonstick frying pan on the stove set to medium heat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and allow the pan to heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the chickpea flour, water, and black salt to a mixing bowl and use a whisk to mix well.
- Pour that mixture into the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it looks solid.
- Sprinkle on any optional fillings and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the edges look golden and slightly crispy.
- Use a spatula to fold the omelette in half, then lift the pan and gently tilt it to slide the omelette onto a plate.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives (optional) then serve.
- Black salt adds an egg-like flavor to this chickpea flour omelette recipe but you can substitute regular salt if you prefer.
- You can scale this recipe up to make as many omelettes as you want and store them in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven before serving.
You might also like
- These grain-free crackers are made with chickpea flour. They’re crunchy and satisfying.
- These wraps made with chickpea flour are quick and easy to prepare. They’re delicious stuffed with veggies and hummus.
- This vegan, gluten-free gingerbread cake is also made with chickpea flour. It’s warmly spiced, moist, and flavorful.
- These chickpea flour chocolate chip cookies are sweet and delicious. They’re crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle.