These chickpea flour wraps are a delicious gluten-free alternative to traditional wraps or tortillas. They’re also grain-free and vegan. Stuff them with your favourite fillings, roll them up, and enjoy them for a nutritious breakfast, lunch, or snack.
Main ingredients and substitutions
Chickpea flour (also known as garbanzo bean flour) is a gluten-free flour that works perfectly in these homemade stovetop wraps. If you have trouble finding chickpea flour at your local grocery store then it’s pretty easy to find online instead.
I like to season the wrap batter with a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and oregano when I’m serving these wraps with savoury fillings. If I’m planning on using sweet fillings then I skip the garlic and oregano and substitute a pinch of cinnamon instead.
How to make them
These wraps are quick and easy to prepare. They’re made on the stovetop using a large nonstick frying pan. This recipe makes a single serving but you can scale the recipe up to make as many wraps as you like.
Start by placing the pan on the stove set to medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan. Then you can prepare the other ingredients while the pan is heating up for a couple of minutes.
Next you’ll add the chickpea flour, cold water, salt, garlic powder and oregano (or substitute cinnamon instead of those two spices if you’re planning on filling the wrap with something sweet) to a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix well until it has the consistency of a thin batter.
Pour the batter into the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the edges look a bit crispy, then use a spatula to flip the wrap before continuing to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Remove the wrap from the pan and allow it to cool off for a few minutes before enjoying it with any fillings you like.
Stuff these chickpea flour wraps with savoury fillings such as roasted or fresh veggies, salad greens, beans, hummus, or cheese/vegan cheese.
Or go for some sweet fillings such as nut butter and apples slices. Or some sliced strawberries and a smear of this nut-free homemade chocolate spread or this chocolate dessert hummus would be delicious.
These wraps are the most delicious served fresh and warm but you can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. They’re good served cold but they’re even better if you reheat them in a pan on the stove, or in the microwave or oven before serving.
More chickpea flour recipes to try
- This cake is easy to make, moist, rich, and chocolaty.
- These brownies are fudgy and decadent yet nutritious.
- This banana bread is warmly spiced, filling, and delicious.
Chickpea Flour Wraps (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
- Large nonstick frying pan
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of garlic powder (or substitute cinnamon if you plan on using sweet fillings in the wrap)
- Pinch of dried oregano (omit if using sweet fillings)
- Place a large nonstick frying pan on the stove set to medium heat.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat up for a couple of minutes while you prepare the wrap batter.
- Add the chickpea flour, cold water, salt, garlic powder, and dried oregano to a mixing bowl.
- Use a whisk to mix well until it has the consistency of a thin batter.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the edges look crispy, then use a spatula to flip the wrap and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Allow the wrap to cool off for a few minutes before filling it with whatever you like and rolling it up.
- Savoury filling ideas for this chickpea flour wrap include roasted veggies, salad greens, cooked beans, hummus, and/or shredded cheese/vegan cheese.
- Sweet filling ideas include nut butter with apple slices, jam, honey, or a drizzle of maple syrup.