This gluten free, dairy free, paleo banana bread made with coconut flour is the perfect grain free breakfast, snack, or dessert for banana lovers. This one turned out sweet, moist and cakey with a slightly dense texture that is perfectly satisfying when you’re craving a treat. It’s also refined sugar free and grain free so this treat is perfect for feeding a crowd with various dietary restrictions.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
To keep this gluten free dairy free banana bread paleo diet friendly, I opted to use coconut flour which is a wonderful alternative to conventional flours. It’s lower in carbohydrates, higher in fiber, and quite nutrient dense. It gives this refined sugar free treat an ever so slightly coconutty taste, but certainly the main flavour that shines through is still the banana.
I love baking with extra virgin olive oil so that’s what I opted to use in this recipe, but go ahead and substitute melted coconut oil or any other oil of your choosing.
Slice this paleo banana bread up into portions, freeze them, and defrost as needed for a quick and healthy breakfast or snack. This is perfect for school lunches or to bring to work too.
If you don’t need to keep this treat dairy free, you could even dress this banana bread up for special occasions by adding a smear of this caramel cream cheese frosting on top. It’s refined sugar free and so rich and delicious.
This paleo banana bread would probably work well as muffins too, although I haven’t tested that yet. I suspect that if you use a muffin tray instead of a loaf pan and reduce the baking time to 35 minutes this recipe should work nicely as muffins.
For another delicious paleo diet friendly baked good, try these chocolate paleo muffins. They’re easy to make, so chocolaty, and perfect when you’re craving a nutritious treat.
Paleo Banana Bread (With Coconut Flour)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas, olive oil, eggs, honey, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a blender and blend until well mixed (or use an immersion blender and a large mixing bowl).
- Transfer to a bowl and add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix thoroughly, making sure to incorporate any lumps from the coconut flour.
- Pour into a parchment lined medium sized 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 10 slices of paleo banana bread.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to six months.
Paleo Banana Bread Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.